It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM 3.0.1 Workitems and Planning

Ken Creager (6542220) | asked Sep 15 '11, 7:38 p.m.
It says somewhere in the documentation, I can't find it so if someone could point it out that would be great, that WORKITEMS are available across the CLM2011 platform. I think that means i can use workitems if I have RTC or RQM or RRC. I don't NEED RTC to create and use custom work items??

also, now does this tie to plans, WorkItems are only so useful if you can't tie them to some plan?? I know RQM has "defect" capability if you don't have RTC, shouldn't I be able to make any kind of work item type and use it in RQM?

For example, I have a SCRUM team, made up of systems people, developers, and testers..... I only have RQM, can't I create my own custom process in RQM, with associated work items, to manage my overall process, to include all workitems to management my project?

and what about plans, can't i just make simple timelines/plans in RQM, such as a project having 3 phases, or 3 builds, or 3 iterations and I want a plan for each phase I can link those work items to??

thanks

Ken

2 answers

permanent link
Ken Creager (6542220) | answered Sep 16 '11, 1:16 p.m.
It seems like even in the new version of RQM, which is supposed to provide WORKITEM capabilities, you still only have 2 work item times, predefined in RQM, that you can use: DEFECTS and QUALITY MANAGEMENT TASKS!

This seems a bit self defeating and limiting! Why not be able to use ANY/ALL work item types that you want? Other tools like HPQC have more than 2 work item types, and why would you want to limit yourself to that?

I know very few organizations that only have 2 work item types - and lets use SCRUM as an example, which is supposed to be supported by IBM. SCRUM supports all disciplines, to include testing, and the planning and work item tracking is done using EPICS, STORIES, TASKS, DEFECTS and so forth. Why would I NOT have test related EPICS, STORIES, TASKS and so forth?

Is there any way to get around this limitation? I want to use SCRUM for all my work item tracking, regardless of discipline or team!

thanks

Ken

It says somewhere in the documentation, I can't find it so if someone could point it out that would be great, that WORKITEMS are available across the CLM2011 platform. I think that means i can use workitems if I have RTC or RQM or RRC. I don't NEED RTC to create and use custom work items??

also, now does this tie to plans, WorkItems are only so useful if you can't tie them to some plan?? I know RQM has "defect" capability if you don't have RTC, shouldn't I be able to make any kind of work item type and use it in RQM?

For example, I have a SCRUM team, made up of systems people, developers, and testers..... I only have RQM, can't I create my own custom process in RQM, with associated work items, to manage my overall process, to include all workitems to management my project?

and what about plans, can't i just make simple timelines/plans in RQM, such as a project having 3 phases, or 3 builds, or 3 iterations and I want a plan for each phase I can link those work items to??

thanks

Ken

permanent link
Jeffrey Neau (11112313) | answered Oct 12 '11, 1:22 p.m.
Hi Ken,

Everything you're saying you want to do is in fact doable.

Make sure you have both the CCM and QM applications installed (both part of RQM). And make sure you have a project created that has both CCM and QM areas.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.