It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Multiple copies for working on the same code

Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | asked Sep 14 '11, 6:47 a.m.
edited Oct 13 '17, 3:21 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Hi!

I'm trying to adjust some habits as part of migrating from Subversion to RTC and I need some advise or suggestions how.

What I'm doing in SVN is that I have multiple SVN working copies for the same code. Often I have three or more such SVN working copies, one for general development (this one often contains several half-finished changes), one temporary one (I switch to this working copy when I want to test a change in isolation from other half-finished changes) and a clean one without changes (after checking in, I switch to this one to verify that I didn't break anything or forgot to check something in). Note that these three SVN working copies all reference the same SVN repository URL, they are <u:25743aa223> not </u:25743aa223> branches!

For RTC, I would of course need a repository workspace for the code. However, do I really need three repository workspaces for above approach? I would have loaded the same repository workspace thrice or loaded the same component three times into the same repository workspace. BTW: If I can't load a repository workspace more than once, can a different user load it while I have it loaded?

I'm aware that this is a slightly vague question, but I still hope to find a few good suggestions!

Cheers!

Uli

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Sep 14 '11, 9:41 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can load the same repository workspace multiple times but not in the same sandbox. However, the recommended approach would be to create 3 repository workspaces, the reason being that RTC assumes a one-to-one mapping between loaded content and a repository workspace so, if you loaded the same workspace more than once, changes checked in from one place would cause the others to go out-of-sync.

Once you start using RTC, I think you'll find that having 3 repository workspaces where you accept and deliver (i.e. flow) changes between them and your stream will work quite seamlessly. I tend to work with multiple workspaces in my pending changes view and flow changes between them regularly with no problem.
David Lafreniere selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.