It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

A couple of questions regarding SCM command line tool

Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | asked Sep 02 '11, 10:32 a.m.
Hi

1. Why "scm" command line is so slow comparing to "cleartool"?

2. I seems "scm" command line can't be used together with RTC eclipse client, on the same workspace. If I have the RTC eclipse client open, and at the same time, run a scm command in the workspace, I will get an error like "file locked". This is weird, how if I want to debug something and want to run the same command from command line, then I have to close RTC first?

3. Workspace load status is not sync from RTC client and command line. In the (1st image) screen shot, same user, same workspace:
"Curam Development Stream Workspace" is already loaded in RTC, but "scm" doesn't know, and can't load again due to the lock.
"Curam Development Stream Build Workspace" is already loaded in "scm", but RTC doesn't know. Start a load will do re-load.

4. From RTC client, I can see there is nothing to deliver, but from command line, I can run deliver again and again, seeing nothing changed. see 2nd image.

5. If you look at image 2, it's asking for password for every command, why?

http://i56.tinypic.com/10p6hwj.png

http://i53.tinypic.com/2j0jjt0.png

4 answers

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Sep 05 '11, 6:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. Use 'lscm' instead of 'scm'. The 'lscm' starts a daemon in the background and subsequent invoke of lscm will not incur startup times.
2. If you use 'lscm' after starting the RTC Eclipse client you should not run into this issue. There is a known issue if you start lscm first and then the RTC Eclipse client.
3. a. Not sure what do you mean by "scm does not know", If you run 'lscm' in the sandbox it should show the status/pending changes.
3. b. Did you mean that the workspace loaded by scm cli is not recognized in RTC?
4. This has been fixed in 301. Now it should display "Nothing to deliver".
5. Was the login credentials cached? Can you run 'lscm ls cred' which lists all the repositories you have connected to and if the credentials have been cached?

Hi

1. Why "scm" command line is so slow comparing to "cleartool"?

2. I seems "scm" command line can't be used together with RTC eclipse client, on the same workspace. If I have the RTC eclipse client open, and at the same time, run a scm command in the workspace, I will get an error like "file locked". This is weird, how if I want to debug something and want to run the same command from command line, then I have to close RTC first?

3. Workspace load status is not sync from RTC client and command line. In the (1st image) screen shot, same user, same workspace:
"Curam Development Stream Workspace" is already loaded in RTC, but "scm" doesn't know, and can't load again due to the lock.
"Curam Development Stream Build Workspace" is already loaded in "scm", but RTC doesn't know. Start a load will do re-load.

4. From RTC client, I can see there is nothing to deliver, but from command line, I can run deliver again and again, seeing nothing changed. see 2nd image.

5. If you look at image 2, it's asking for password for every command, why?

http://i56.tinypic.com/10p6hwj.png

http://i53.tinypic.com/2j0jjt0.png

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | answered Sep 06 '11, 3:19 p.m.
1. Use 'lscm' instead of 'scm'. The 'lscm' starts a daemon in the background and subsequent invoke of lscm will not incur startup times.
2. If you use 'lscm' after starting the RTC Eclipse client you should not run into this issue. There is a known issue if you start lscm first and then the RTC Eclipse client.
3. a. Not sure what do you mean by "scm does not know", If you run 'lscm' in the sandbox it should show the status/pending changes.
3. b. Did you mean that the workspace loaded by scm cli is not recognized in RTC?
5. Was the login credentials cached? Can you run 'lscm ls cred' which lists all the repositories you have connected to and if the credentials have been cached?

1&2: Yes, "lscm" fixed that.
3. Yes, workspace loaded by scm cli is not "automatically" recognized in RTC and vice versa. In RTC, I have to initial the "load" operation, then RTC will say it's loaded, then after I cancel the operation, the workspace status will show as "loaded".
4. No, I am using 3.0.1, it's not fixed as shown below:
C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>lscm version
com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.tools, version 3.0.1.v20110602_1036
Subcommands: tools.verify tools.validate tools.echo.stdin tools.configvalue t

com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client, version 3.0.1.v20110602_1036
Subcommands: load login logout create create/workspace create/baseline create
changeset/complete changeset/current changeset/relocate changeset/associate ch
rd changeset/extract change-target change-target/workspace change-target/compon
s list/teamareas list/streams list/components list/remotefiles list/credentials
list/users list/baselines checkin accept deliver status conflicts resolve move
pace/add-components workspace/remove-components workspace/replace-components wo
perty/set property/remove lock lock/list lock/acquire lock/release annotate sna

com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core, version 3.0.1.v20110602_1036
Subcommands: help version

C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>lscm deliver
Delivering changes:
Workspaces:
(1016) "Temporary Build Workspace" --> (1017) "JUnit Integration Stream"
Components:
(1014) "recipe1.deliver"
Deliver command successfully completed.

Delivering changes:
Workspaces:
Components:
(1014) "recipe1.deliver"

C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>

5. Here is the output:
C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>lscm ls cred
https://localhost:9443/ccm/, Administrator, rtc, <No>, <No>, <Password>

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Sep 07 '11, 7:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
3. That is how it works today. It is not automatically recognized because RTC Eclipse client doesn't know about the sandbox (not tracked) until you say load.
4. Please raise a defect.
5. The credentials was prompted because the url https://jazz.home.net:9443/ccm/ does not show up in your cached list.

1&2: Yes, "lscm" fixed that.
3. Yes, workspace loaded by scm cli is not "automatically" recognized in RTC and vice versa. In RTC, I have to initial the "load" operation, then RTC will say it's loaded, then after I cancel the operation, the workspace status will show as "loaded".
4. No, I am using 3.0.1, it's not fixed as shown below:
C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>lscm version
com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.tools, version 3.0.1.v20110602_1036
Subcommands: tools.verify tools.validate tools.echo.stdin tools.configvalue t

com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.client, version 3.0.1.v20110602_1036
Subcommands: load login logout create create/workspace create/baseline create
changeset/complete changeset/current changeset/relocate changeset/associate ch
rd changeset/extract change-target change-target/workspace change-target/compon
s list/teamareas list/streams list/components list/remotefiles list/credentials
list/users list/baselines checkin accept deliver status conflicts resolve move
pace/add-components workspace/remove-components workspace/replace-components wo
perty/set property/remove lock lock/list lock/acquire lock/release annotate sna

com.ibm.team.filesystem.cli.core, version 3.0.1.v20110602_1036
Subcommands: help version

Delivering changes:
Workspaces:
Components:
(1014) "recipe1.deliver"

Delivering changes:
Workspaces:
Components:
(1014) "recipe1.deliver"

C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>

5. Here is the output:
C:\Sandbox\Temp_Build>lscm ls cred
https://localhost:9443/ccm/, Administrator, rtc, <No>, <No>, <Password>

permanent link
Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | answered Sep 07 '11, 4:30 p.m.
3. That is how it works today. It is not automatically recognized because RTC Eclipse client doesn't know about the sandbox (not tracked) until you say load.
4. Please raise a defect.
5. The credentials was prompted because the url https://jazz.home.net:9443/ccm/ does not show up in your cached list.

Defect 176497 raised. https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=176497

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.