It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC-Client Deployment in company enviroment

Dieter Springer (633) | asked Aug 29 '11, 7:21 a.m.
Hi all.

I am in dire need of information how to deploy the RTC-Client in a company enviroment. Any best practices kown?

Here is some background info:
For 2 Weeks now i try to deploy the RTC-Eclipse-Client at our company.
In our enviroment i have some limitations and some wishes to consider.
- Deployment on Windows Terminalsservers and lokal PCs alike
- Harddisk space is limited, escpecially at our terminalservers
- a common enviroment (such as preferences and plugins) is needed for most (95%) of our users, but some users will need special pefs and plugins
- a central update-facility is needed so the enviroment could be updated during maintance-hour

At first i tried the easy way with copying the RTC-Client to all Servers and PCs. This method ate too much HHD-space and i soon ran out auf space on the servers. Next i tried deploying with equinox-p2-agent (manually installing eclipse Helios, then RTC-Client-p2Repo and then our needed editor plugins). I was now able to create a BundlePool for all installations via Network-shares and even performance was satisfying, but i am not able to update these installations. (something about conflicting features)

Are there Best-practices regarding central deployment? Any tools i might use?
I know there are a lot of documents and postings in the net but a lot of that is refering to old (pre-p2) eclipse-Versions or too technically (i am an admin but not a programmer) for me to understand.

Thanks & Regards
Dieter

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.