It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does an RTC project area relate to a ClearCase UCM PVOB?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | asked Aug 23 '11, 2:16 p.m.
converted to question Aug 20 '13, 7:10 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
I am new to RTC so also thinking about this.

I try to map the project area to the PVOB in ClearCase UCM, so the factors to consider are:
1. Process: projects following the same process can be in one project area.
2. Organization structure: line-of-business, departments, etc.
3. Access control and sharing: projects depends on each other can share the same components. It will be a lot easier to put them in the same project area?

Jirong

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 23 '11, 2:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, if you are a ClearCase UCM user, the best way to think of an RTC project area as RTC's implementation of a PVOB.

But note that project area boundaries do not affect component sharing .... you can share any component in the RTC repository that you have read permission to see.

Cheers,
Geoff

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Oct 13 '11, 2:27 p.m. | edited Aug 20 '13, 7:11 p.m.

Now the problem of using A is: where is my project?

My question is: is there a way to have another logical layer under the "Project Area", let's say "Project".

Now all components, streams and whatever from different projects are found in the same place (this is actually the same as in CC UCM). The only way to "identify" a particular project is the Team Area or a naming convention of components/streams. Means if someone asks me "where is my project?" I can only say: It's not obvious.

In ClearCase, at least there is a folder to help.

Thanks
Jirong

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 20 '13, 7:14 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In RTC, the primary way to address this problem is through the use of filters.   In particular, the most common filter is to filter out information from team areas that you are not a member of.   You can also define custom filters, where you select the subset of the team areas that are of interest.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.