It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to debug a build engine problem

Michael Baylis (1832719) | asked Jun 25 '08, 5:41 a.m.
Hi,
I'm getting the following error occasionally with the build engine:-

Accepting changes into workspace "STEDEV - Build workspace" ...
Deleting fetch destination "/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse/stedevstream" before fetching ...
Fetching files to fetch destination "/opt/IBM/TeamConcertBuild/buildsystem/buildengine/eclipse/stedevstream" ...
com.ibm.team.build.internal.scm.SourceControlUtility$2: Status ERROR: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 There were errors during download. It is recommended that components be reloaded. The reload will be incremental, loading only the missing items. You can further reduce the reload time by reloading just the projects out of sync. null children=
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.scm.SourceControlUtility.updateFileCopyArea(SourceControlUtility.java:285)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.preBuild(JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.java:152)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop.invokePreBuildParticipants(BuildLoop.java:555)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop$2.run(BuildLoop.java:411)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:810)

We are running with DB2 Express on the same server as the Jazz server so I suspect we are having problems with shared memory or such, but I would like to prove it. Any ideas how to go about diagnosing the problem.

Most of the builds will work correctly, occasionally it will fail with the above error and then work correctly next time.

Cheers,

Michael

6 answers

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Jun 25 '08, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We have not seen this before. Please create a work item with the stack trace
and we will investigate. Be sure to include the version of Team Concert you
are using.

Right now, my only guess at fixing it would be to start with a brand new
build workspace and see if the problems continue.

---
Ryan Manwiller
Jazz Team Build

permanent link
Michael Baylis (1832719) | answered Jun 26 '08, 8:22 a.m.
Ryan,
Will do.

Cheers,

Michael

permanent link
Matthias Böhmer (1462019) | answered Jul 26 '08, 7:03 a.m.
Hi there,

could you fix the problem? I have the same error now on all our builds. We are running version 1.0 of Jazz.

Best regards,
mboehmer

permanent link
Michael Baylis (1832719) | answered Jul 26 '08, 12:59 p.m.
mboehmer,
We (us and Jazz) discovered that this was caused by DB2 running out of shared memory for its bufferpools. If you are running db2 express under linux I would check the shmmax setting and ensure it is set to atleast 1gb. I have ours set to 1.8gb and have not experienced this problem since.

Cheers,

Michael

permanent link
Matthias Böhmer (1462019) | answered Aug 15 '08, 2:59 p.m.
Hello,

after increasing the shared memory for DB2 Express everything was fine, at least for some days. Now we have the same problem again and all of our builds fail with a log file similar to the following.

2008-08-14 23:50:47 Should build occur?
Checking for changes incoming to workspace "buildmeister workspace" ... found changes (1)
2008-08-14 23:50:47 Yes: Pre-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm" would like to build.
2008-08-14 23:50:48 Invoking pre-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm"
Accepting changes into workspace "buildmeister workspace" ...
Deleting fetch destination "/home/mboehmer/buildserver/fetched_mobile-client" before fetching ...
Fetching files to fetch destination "/home/mboehmer/buildserver/fetched_mobile-client" ...
com.ibm.team.build.internal.scm.SourceControlUtility$2: Status ERROR: com.ibm.team.filesystem.client code=0 There were errors during download. It is recommended that components be reloaded. The reload will be incremental, loading only the missing items. You can further reduce the reload time by reloading just the projects out of sync. null children=
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.scm.SourceControlUtility.updateFileCopyArea(SourceControlUtility.java:285)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.preBuild(JazzScmPreBuildParticipant.java:152)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop.invokePreBuildParticipants(BuildLoop.java:570)
at com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.BuildLoop$2.run(BuildLoop.java:426)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Is there any other solution to this problem?

Best regards,
Matthias

permanent link
Ryan Manwiller (1.3k1) | answered Aug 15 '08, 7:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please create a work item with the stack trace and we will investigate. Be
sure to include the version of Team Concert you are using.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.