It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrading to CLM 3.0.1

Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | asked Aug 04 '11, 5:27 a.m.
Hi All,

Just wanted to share some tips so that people might find them when they run into problems and search for them.

Running the JTS setup with LDAP getting the error "the user could not be created"

This error was in our case caused by the LDAP user we were logged in with to not be in the direct root of the AD. So if your ldap starts its search at users.company.com - this is where your admin user needs to be. not in say us.users.company.com

Problems logging in to a newly added application in your clm setup?

If you are adding for instance CCM to an upgrade of RQM (or any other combination) and you are using ldap for authentication then you will have a problem accessing the new applications setup url - you can simply not authenticate - this is because the new application is by default configured for tomcat where as your existing apps and jts uses ldap. To fix this you need to manually edit the web.xml of your new application to contain the ldap group mappings - compare this with your existing applications to find the correct values.

Integration with CQ
- here you need to run the repotools -migrateCmLinks
You also need to deploy the oscl package to your CQ schema and finally you need to remove the old friend from your app and add it with the new oslc path and redo all your project mappings.
You may also get an error when you access a dashboard that needs to be migrated - you can continue and ignore this error(this means you will no longer have CQ stuff on your dashboard) but you can manually add the widgets to each project.

Setting up datawarehouse:
All applications CCM, RM and JTS should use the same datawarehouse database. Using SQL server something interesting happens here - you need to specify a table space folder which you for some reason only need to do for the datawarehouse database and not for the applications. In this case the only thing I could get working was to create a folder in a random place on the database server and use this value so for instance D:\jazztablespace - remember to create the folder your self.
Notice that dw user is created if it does not exist. If you use LDAP you should use an existing user(a tech user not your admin) as dw user and notice that the user needs the JazzAdmins role and some kind of license.

Public uri's:

When you upgrade your server you get the option of changing the public uri - which you can actually not do because it would screw up all internal linkings between workitems. so for an existing application use the same URI. However for JTS and new applications its a good idea to create a dns forwarding the server where you install them so that you may move the applications later on. Say you install all applications on a single server but in future you want to move them seperately - to do that you need to use something like

jts.company.com/jts
ccm.company.com/ccm
myserver/jazz (in this case an upgraded rqm that can never be moved away from myserver)

Widgets and reports not deployed:

When you upgrade your server the new version of the server has a number of report templates available for reports and widgets in dahsboards. However these needs to be manually deployed to each project area - so you need to use the rtc eclipse client and go to the reports folder of your project area and right click ->deploy new templates. This is the case for both RTC and RQM though you would normally not use RTC clients for RQM.

19 answers

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Aug 04 '11, 6:27 a.m.
Notice BTW for CQ OSLC to work with 3.0.1 CLM you need to upgrade CQ to at least 7.1.2.3 and not just 7.1.2 as stated in he documentation. If you dont do this the widgets will not work.

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11723) | answered Aug 04 '11, 7:44 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Notice BTW for CQ OSLC to work with 3.0.1 CLM you need to upgrade CQ to at least 7.1.2.3 and not just 7.1.2 as stated in he documentation. If you dont do this the widgets will not work.

Hello Kim
Thanks for these tips. In regards to the CQ version above, please open a workitem, if you have not already done so, against 'User Assistance' in either the CLM project area or Jazz Foundation project area.

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Aug 04 '11, 8:00 a.m.

Hello Kim
Thanks for these tips. In regards to the CQ version above, please open a workitem, if you have not already done so, against 'User Assistance' in either the CLM project area or Jazz Foundation project area.

Hi Rosa,

I think this issue has been addressed in a pmr and an rfe requested. I'm just putting the info here while a solution is created,

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Aug 04 '11, 1:54 p.m.
Hi Kim,

I also want to thank you for these tips. I have run into these situations over the past 2 weeks. I saw them first when I was just trying to upgrade RTC v2.0.0.2 with iFix 6 to CLM v3.0.1. That setup was on a VMWare system and I actually got that to almost work. I downloaded and followed the CLM upgrade to v3.0.1 from v2 workshop. I think that the workshop is pretty good. However, it was describing steps for someone who was working with a WebSphere Application Server and the workshop lost me after I upgraded RTC and the instructions started describing how to remove the old RTC files using WAS. I am using Tomcat with SQL Server.

We were then given a new "physical" server. This new server has the specifications that are "recommended" by IBM. 2 "iCore 8" CPUs with 16GB of RAM and a large HD. I am installing CLM as JTS along with RTC, RQM, and RRC on this and I think we have a good system to do that. On this new server, I installed CLM v3.0.1 from scratch. Then I went thru all of the gyrations, head banging, and convulsions encountering the situations that you captured in your original post.

I love using RTC/RQM and up to now have only had to do upgrades to those products. The process for the upgrades in the v2.x version have gone smoothly. I understand that the CLM 3.0.1 is a totally new architecture. However, I do need to say that the documentation for the install process is not very good. For example, the issues involving the data warehouse are really a big pain point. I had to look at over a dozen topics about this issue in the forums to get it working. Fortunately, the Jazz forums are very helpful (this topic is an example). I am getting though all of this with the help of the forums and authors like you and others going through this experience.

Thanks again,

-Walter

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some tips so that people might find them when they run into problems and search for them.

Running the JTS setup with LDAP getting the error "the user could not be created"

This error was in our case caused by the LDAP user we were logged in with to not be in the direct root of the AD. So if your ldap starts its search at users.company.com - this is where your admin user needs to be. not in say us.users.company.com

Problems logging in to a newly added application in your clm setup?

If you are adding for instance CCM to an upgrade of RQM (or any other combination) and you are using ldap for authentication then you will have a problem accessing the new applications setup url - you can simply not authenticate - this is because the new application is by default configured for tomcat where as your existing apps and jts uses ldap. To fix this you need to manually edit the web.xml of your new application to contain the ldap group mappings - compare this with your existing applications to find the correct values.

Integration with CQ
- here you need to run the repotools -migrateCmLinks
You also need to deploy the oscl package to your CQ schema and finally you need to remove the old friend from your app and add it with the new oslc path and redo all your project mappings.
You may also get an error when you access a dashboard that needs to be migrated - you can continue and ignore this error(this means you will no longer have CQ stuff on your dashboard) but you can manually add the widgets to each project.

Setting up datawarehouse:
All applications CCM, RM and JTS should use the same datawarehouse database. Using SQL server something interesting happens here - you need to specify a table space folder which you for some reason only need to do for the datawarehouse database and not for the applications. In this case the only thing I could get working was to create a folder in a random place on the database server and use this value so for instance D:\jazztablespace - remember to create the folder your self.
Notice that dw user is created if it does not exist. If you use LDAP you should use an existing user(a tech user not your admin) as dw user and notice that the user needs the JazzAdmins role and some kind of license.

Public uri's:

When you upgrade your server you get the option of changing the public uri - which you can actually not do because it would screw up all internal linkings between workitems. so for an existing application use the same URI. However for JTS and new applications its a good idea to create a dns forwarding the server where you install them so that you may move the applications later on. Say you install all applications on a single server but in future you want to move them seperately - to do that you need to use something like

jts.company.com/jts
ccm.company.com/ccm
myserver/jazz (in this case an upgraded rqm that can never be moved away from myserver)

Widgets and reports not deployed:

When you upgrade your server the new version of the server has a number of report templates available for reports and widgets in dahsboards. However these needs to be manually deployed to each project area - so you need to use the rtc eclipse client and go to the reports folder of your project area and right click ->deploy new templates. This is the case for both RTC and RQM though you would normally not use RTC clients for RQM.

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Aug 05 '11, 6:16 a.m.
Addtional tips:

About public URI's

Notice that when you run the migration script it will pop up a notepad with the teamserver.properties for all applications that you can edit when you press "C" for continue- if you have any changes to URI's for the JTS for instance you need to change it here and not later when you run the setup. If you change it during the setup some pointers to indexes will be wrong and despite the fact that you get the message to run repotools -reindex to fix this error the very command repotools -reindex will also report an index problem and tell you to run it self :-)

404 error

If you get a 404 error when accessing the /jazz url but not on jazz/admin or jazz/setup after migrating on WAS - you may have a new WAS or most likely reinstalled to use the correct fixpack level. This error is caused by the paths of JAZZ_HOME or log4j being wrong in the jvm custom properties.

Changing WAS FP
When you upgrade CLM on WAS you need to use the supported FP level.
for instance
RTC 2.0.0.2 is WAS 7.0.0.7
RTC 3.0 is WAS 7.0.0.13
RTC 3.0.1 is WAS 7.0.0.9

When you install a fixpack on WAS remember also to download and install the WAS SDK fixpack for the same version( it will be available on the same download page). So when you use the websphere update installer you always need to apply 2 fixpacks - the sdk fixpack x and the fixpack x itself.

Retrying upgrades
When we reran an upgrade to get the latest data we ended up getting an error like this during step 1 of the script (eg the 2.x data import):
could not create attribute contextId

com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: Items with a protected read access policy must use a public context id, a project id, or a current contributor id but the id "_3iLq8GPyEd-qjIuZH4z80g" was used

This error was fixed after manually dropping all contents of the databases with the repotools-jts -droptables and repotools-jazz droptables in the 3.0.1 environment before updating - also we noticed at slight difference in the documentation - one page said to run:
upgrade\qm_upgrade.bat -oldApplicationHome C:\Progra~1\IBM\<QM2>\server\conf -importFromFile C:\tmp\qmData.tar

another said to run

upgrade\qm_upgrade.bat -oldApplicationHome RQM201InstallDir\server\conf -importFromFile c:\tmp\export.tar -createJTSTables

adding the -createTables argument to the upgrade script is what we suspect fixed the problem.

RQM CQ widget

As stated previously in this post you need to upgrade CQ to 7.1.2.3 to have the widgets available. If you only upgraded to CQ 7.1.2 you will find that the widget for displaying defects from CQ in your dashboard is not available.
If you have a message of

Error finalizing setup

If you receive an error like:
Unable to perform User Sync operation

with a detailed message of
HTTP Status 500 - Premature end of file. 

This can happen when you during setup finalize the application. This error can be solved by the simple fix of running the setup again and finalizing once more.

Thats all for now - hope that some of you people on the forum can use these tricks to save you some time and make your upgrade a little easier

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Aug 05 '11, 6:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kim,

I also want to thank you for these tips. I have run into these situations over the past 2 weeks. I saw them first when I was just trying to upgrade RTC v2.0.0.2 with iFix 6 to CLM v3.0.1. That setup was on a VMWare system and I actually got that to almost work. I downloaded and followed the CLM upgrade to v3.0.1 from v2 workshop. I think that the workshop is pretty good. However, it was describing steps for someone who was working with a WebSphere Application Server and the workshop lost me after I upgraded RTC and the instructions started describing how to remove the old RTC files using WAS. I am using Tomcat with SQL Server.

We were then given a new "physical" server. This new server has the specifications that are "recommended" by IBM. 2 "iCore 8" CPUs with 16GB of RAM and a large HD. I am installing CLM as JTS along with RTC, RQM, and RRC on this and I think we have a good system to do that. On this new server, I installed CLM v3.0.1 from scratch. Then I went thru all of the gyrations, head banging, and convulsions encountering the situations that you captured in your original post.

I love using RTC/RQM and up to now have only had to do upgrades to those products. The process for the upgrades in the v2.x version have gone smoothly. I understand that the CLM 3.0.1 is a totally new architecture. However, I do need to say that the documentation for the install process is not very good. For example, the issues involving the data warehouse are really a big pain point. I had to look at over a dozen topics about this issue in the forums to get it working. Fortunately, the Jazz forums are very helpful (this topic is an example). I am getting though all of this with the help of the forums and authors like you and others going through this experience.

Thanks again,

-Walter

Hi Walter,

I'd like to encourage you to file work items against documentation, where you have seen trouble. After going through upgrade tests way too many times we start missing things someone with less exposure would run into. We absolutely need this feedback.

I think it is a good approach to do some test installations and -migrations before trying a productive one.

WAS versus Tomcat in the upgrade workshop: I think the difference really is that you would install several tomcat and you would not have to undeploy the applications. Except some changes in the script variables the process should be very similar. I understand that it is easy to get lost in the workshop however. The interactive upgrade guide should help with context. The workshop tries to follow it as good as practical but might have taken some shortcuts.

I think to some extent the number of products and infrastructure involved contribute a good part to the complexity. This is backed by just replacing the app server made it hard for you to follow the workshop. this also makes creating the documentation so hard. This will not go away with deployments growing over time. But I sure hope it will get easier in the future as the architecture stabilizes.

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Aug 08 '11, 8:27 a.m.
As for the

could not create attribute contextId

com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: Items with a protected read access policy must use a public context id, a project id, or a current contributor id but the id "_3iLq8GPyEd-qjIuZH4z80g" was used

Error message we now found the root cause:

it seems that the original export we did somehow failed. We reran the
repotools -repairRequests

then reran the export

repotools -export toFile=export.tar

This time the export was significantly larger (600 Mb larger) and the problem during the import was solved.

I think the error message actually means that there is a reference to a UID which is not found. Most likely because something went wrong in the export and so the import does not have all the data and something tries to reference a missing record in the database.

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Aug 09 '11, 7:38 a.m.
Integrating with Rational Requisite Pro after upgrade

Notice that the integration has now changed so that RQM no longer syncronizes requirements with reqpro. This means that you no longer need to import the requirements but you will still have a connection. After you have done your upgrade RQM needs to update its connection to the reqpro:

see:
https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_update_reqpro_requirements.html

Using the CQ, CC or lifecycle licenses for RTC.

After version 3 of CLM you no longer use the RTC keys within the CQ installation. The licenses now needs to be downloaded from IBM License Key Center just like all other licenses - see
https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21451088

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Aug 09 '11, 9:41 a.m.
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding documentation. I am more than willing to help out with documentation. Please understand that it was just an observation.

I do appreciate the forum having a lot of information that really is helpful. This particular topic has helped me get thru some installation "bumps" and I am now at the point where I have installed a new V3.0.1 Jazz Team Server. The "jts" part is all set up and seems to be OK.

I am now going thru the configuration of the "ccm" application. The issue I have right now is configuring the database for the "ccm" application. I followed the steps for setting up a database in the "Interactive Installation Guide" to create a new database named "ccm". When I go to configure the "ccm" application via the JTS setup web page I get the following error: "descriptor must not be null". This may be a problem with something I did and I am following up with our IT folks here about it.

I do have a sort of related question t this.

I am using "ccm" even though there is an existing database on the database server named "rtc", which was being used for RTC v2.x. I am wondering if I should have installed the "ccm" application with a root context of "/jazz" (used for v2.x) instead of "/ccm". This is described in the ""Interactive Upgrade Guide". I think I could uninstall the "ccm" application and reinstall it with the old root context. Maybe that would help.

Thanks,

-Walter

Hi Kim,

Thanks again,

-Walter

Hi Walter,

I'd like to encourage you to file work items against documentation, where you have seen trouble. After going through upgrade tests way too many times we start missing things someone with less exposure would run into. We absolutely need this feedback.

I think it is a good approach to do some test installations and -migrations before trying a productive one.

WAS versus Tomcat in the upgrade workshop: I think the difference really is that you would install several tomcat and you would not have to undeploy the applications. Except some changes in the script variables the process should be very similar. I understand that it is easy to get lost in the workshop however. The interactive upgrade guide should help with context. The workshop tries to follow it as good as practical but might have taken some shortcuts.

I think to some extent the number of products and infrastructure involved contribute a good part to the complexity. This is backed by just replacing the app server made it hard for you to follow the workshop. this also makes creating the documentation so hard. This will not go away with deployments growing over time. But I sure hope it will get easier in the future as the architecture stabilizes.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Aug 09 '11, 10:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Walter,

if you want to upgrade form RTC 2.x to 3.0.2 you need to keep the context root /jazz. To do that, even with Tomcat, you need to check the migration option during install.

You should follow the interactive upgrade and - as far as possible the Upgrade Guide to get a better understanding of the process. With Tomcat the difference to WAS is, that you would install a new tomcat instance and migrate from the old one to the new one rather than uninstall from RAS and redeploy.

Please open a new thread for this.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the suggestion regarding documentation. I am more than willing to help out with documentation. Please understand that it was just an observation.

I do appreciate the forum having a lot of information that really is helpful. This particular topic has helped me get thru some installation "bumps" and I am now at the point where I have installed a new V3.0.1 Jazz Team Server. The "jts" part is all set up and seems to be OK.

I am now going thru the configuration of the "ccm" application. The issue I have right now is configuring the database for the "ccm" application. I followed the steps for setting up a database in the "Interactive Installation Guide" to create a new database named "ccm". When I go to configure the "ccm" application via the JTS setup web page I get the following error: "descriptor must not be null". This may be a problem with something I did and I am following up with our IT folks here about it.

I do have a sort of related question t this.

I am using "ccm" even though there is an existing database on the database server named "rtc", which was being used for RTC v2.x. I am wondering if I should have installed the "ccm" application with a root context of "/jazz" (used for v2.x) instead of "/ccm". This is described in the ""Interactive Upgrade Guide". I think I could uninstall the "ccm" application and reinstall it with the old root context. Maybe that would help.

Thanks,

-Walter

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.