It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Dataset definitions are RTC server level

Steven Zheng (21745) | asked Jul 27 '11, 11:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I just found I could not create dataset definition with same name in different project areas. Once dataset definition A is created in Project area 1, we could not create dataset definition with name A in Project area 2.
While, thinking of a large enterprise with one RTC server, there may be a number of project areas created for different teams. It's a little bit hard to keep each dataset definition a unique name cross all project areas.

Is it possible to configure the dataset definition in scope of a given project area?

One answer

permanent link
Robin Bobbitt (59679) | answered Aug 01 '11, 11:06 a.m.
Hi Steven,

As you discovered, names for our system definitions are unique to the repository, not the project area. For data set definitions that would be used across multiple project areas, you would want to have a common project area where these data set definitions are defined and shared. This way you don't have to create and maintain them in each project area, and you don't have to worry about keeping things consistent.

Robin

I just found I could not create dataset definition with same name in different project areas. Once dataset definition A is created in Project area 1, we could not create dataset definition with name A in Project area 2.
While, thinking of a large enterprise with one RTC server, there may be a number of project areas created for different teams. It's a little bit hard to keep each dataset definition a unique name cross all project areas.

Is it possible to configure the dataset definition in scope of a given project area?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.