It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I migrate Queries and Dashboards from one RTC project to another RTC

Richard Kissel (30617) | asked Jan 30 '17, 11:55 a.m.

We have a v5.0.2 RTC project with Queries and Dashboard and we are moving to a brand new v6.0.2 environment. We have migrated our on-prem v5.0.2 RTC project to our new IBM cloud managed v6.0.2 environment but the dashboard and Queries are missing. Is there some way to export/move/migrate the dashboards an queries from our old RTC v5.0.2 project environment to our new v6.0.2 project environment?

Comments
Michael Reed commented Jan 30 '17, 3:15 p.m.

Richard,

This isn't an attempt at an answer. I'm just curious what your "migration" consisted of:
  • Were you given the opportunity to migrate your databases over?
  • Was the decision by your organization to start fresh?
I am interested in understanding the options provided when making the decision to "migrate" to a manage SaaS offering.

I have customers that struggle with these questions and I truly like to understand why organizations would opt to start fresh and if they fully realize the potential impact to certain aspects of their business.

Cheers,

-michael

Richard Kissel commented Jan 31 '17, 11:17 a.m. | edited Jan 31 '17, 11:18 a.m.

This was a very long process and many factors were involved in the decision. Yes we were strongly considering the option to migrate our Oracle DB to DB2. However the process of Migration was going to take over a week of down time and that was unacceptable. We kind of had to start fresh due to the length of the migration down time. The option was to migrate project by project.

Michael Reed commented Jan 31 '17, 11:44 a.m.

It is shocking to me that the expected downtime was estimated at over a week. I have performed database migrations in a weekend without issue.

Thanks for that bit of info and response!

Cheers,

-michael

Richard Kissel commented Jan 31 '17, 12:11 p.m.

Well our RTC has over 1000 projects and it wasn't just RTC it was our CLM, Plus RAM, Plus UCD. And all this was going from on-Prem to Off-Prem. As I said there were many factors involved from Business and Customers. And that is about all I can say on the subject.

Take Care,

Richard

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k8183200) | answered Jan 30 '17, 12:53 p.m.

Did the move entail moving the entirety of the CLM environment or you're just ramping a new project area on the 6.0.2 server ?   

There are no means to export query or dashboard that I'm aware.  It is possible to copy/paste viewlets on dashboards, but only within a smaller scope ( i.e. on the same repo ).

Richard Kissel selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Richard Kissel commented Jan 30 '17, 1:08 p.m.

Thank You Kevin,

A new project was created and then a migration of the data from the old to the new.

So basically as far as you are aware there is no way to get the dashboard or Queries migrated (OSLC REST Java API, DB)

Kevin Ramer commented Jan 30 '17, 1:28 p.m.

Pretty much.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 31 '17, 2:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As already mentioned, there is no way to automatically migrate a project area from one server to another. There are areas that can be migrated e.g. using distributed SCM. There are areas where you can bring over partial e.g. the last data e.g. for work items using CSV export/import and there are areas where you don't have any support e.g. dashboards, queries.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.