It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Create e-mail distribution lists?

Martin Levesque (162) | asked Jul 26 '11, 10:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Does RTC support the ability to create e-mail distribution lists to send e-mail notifications (similar to how CQ does it)?

6 answers

permanent link
Richard Knaster (23817) | answered Aug 12 '11, 1:46 a.m.
Like I said, paradigm shift between CQ and RTC. In RTC, feeds are used to notify larger groups of people. Rather than pushing the info into the groups, the feeds get created, pop out events when something new happens and people can subscribe to a feed (e.g. a query feed for new, unassigned work items - so every time one gets created their news reader shows this event with an actionable link to the work item).

To realize the use case you subscribe I would suggest to open an enhancement request on jazz.net to ask for support of defining group aliases (possibly role based per team area) to be added as subscribers.

As a workaround to realize the mail-to-a-group feature, either use the events from the news feed in a news reader that pops out e-mails to groups or create work items from a template that already has the members of the group you need in the subscription field.

>> I think you will find that your manager's will prefer to see the Alerts in an RSS News reader or in a Feeds Widget on a Project or Team Dashboard. If you send out e-mails to everyone on a distribution list it is likely that most people on the list are not interested in the e-mail and ingore the Spam.

This is based upon actual RTC deployments. I hope that helps. Try it, you will like it! If you don't, then the advice by Arne is the way to go.

- Richard
IBM WW Practice Manager, RTC & Agile

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jul 27 '11, 4:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Does RTC support the ability to create e-mail distribution lists to send e-mail notifications (similar to how CQ does it)?

Hi Martin,

RTC supports e-mail notification by a subscribe mechanism. One or several users can subscribe / be subscribed to work items. Each user can modify their e-mail notification settings to let the system know for which kind of changes he / she wants to be notified.

Currently I know of no mechanism to support subscribing groups or lists of users.

However, the main paradigm shift from CQ to RTC in terms of notification is that RTC has events. These events happen on the server and get distributed (e.g. event notification in Dashboard, subscribe to a news feed stream). So it is more a model of "subscribe to what you need to know".

Does this cover your use cases? What kind of distribution lists and notifications do you have in mind?

permanent link
Martin Levesque (162) | answered Jul 27 '11, 9:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Martin,

RTC supports e-mail notification by a subscribe mechanism. One or several users can subscribe / be subscribed to work items. Each user can modify their e-mail notification settings to let the system know for which kind of changes he / she wants to be notified.

Currently I know of no mechanism to support subscribing groups or lists of users.

However, the main paradigm shift from CQ to RTC in terms of notification is that RTC has events. These events happen on the server and get distributed (e.g. event notification in Dashboard, subscribe to a news feed stream). So it is more a model of "subscribe to what you need to know".

Does this cover your use cases? What kind of distribution lists and notifications do you have in mind?

Thanks Arne, I suspected it didn't. As for my use case, subscribers (incl. the mechanism) doesn't really fulfill it. Here's a typical CQ use case, create a WI (or record) that contains information I wish to have "subscribed" to an entire group (or distribution list in this case), potentially a group that's outside the scope of "my" own group/team or want to ensure the subscriber group is aware of this WI. Although I could add everyone one-by-one, that would assume I know everyone I wish to add and is certainly more labor/time intensive for large numbers of subscribers. A distribution list, or subscriber group would make this far easier and more efficient I think.

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k10288273) | answered Jul 27 '11, 10:12 a.m.
Hello,

In the next day or so, I was going to ask a similar question. Our most basic CQ notification is to notify a group of managers when a new CQ record has been submitted into the database. They then login and assign it.

Basically managers (or project admins) are notified in CQ when a record is:

Submitted
Resolved
Tested (completed)

One of them then migrates it to the next step. Are you saying that this feature is not available in RTC? How would I plan a work around for this? The email works because they don't have to login to the tool and they can be notified on their mobile. I too, would not want to have to subscribe 10+ people to each record.

thanks...

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Jul 27 '11, 6:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Like I said, paradigm shift between CQ and RTC. In RTC, feeds are used to notify larger groups of people. Rather than pushing the info into the groups, the feeds get created, pop out events when something new happens and people can subscribe to a feed (e.g. a query feed for new, unassigned work items - so every time one gets created their news reader shows this event with an actionable link to the work item).

To realize the use case you subscribe I would suggest to open an enhancement request on jazz.net to ask for support of defining group aliases (possibly role based per team area) to be added as subscribers.

As a workaround to realize the mail-to-a-group feature, either use the events from the news feed in a news reader that pops out e-mails to groups or create work items from a template that already has the members of the group you need in the subscription field.

permanent link
Arne Bister (2.6k12832) | answered Aug 11 '11, 9:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I just found out that one of our Business Partners offers a Jazz - Email integration. Maybe that fits the bill?

- Arne

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.