It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sandbox to Production Migration

Brian DiCola (29311415) | asked Jul 21 '11, 4:24 p.m.
We are planning to use a sandbox to do some user training and configuration while the production site is being provisioned. But I am sure real data will be entered in the meantime.

We have RM, QM, and CCM all on 3.0.1. Tomcat is the app server. Derby is the database now, but will be Oracle in prod.

How much of a hassle will it be to migrate over the process configuration, project configuration, and artifacts? Specifically, I mean the URI. The installation guide stresses never changing the URI. But if we enter data on machine 1 and then migrate to machine 2, with a new URI, will then the data become corrupt?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Aug 30 '11, 11:37 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks J.

Unfortunately I have to move forward with some kind of migration. Users are putting real data into the sandbox now. The move is planned for months from now.

Maybe if I set up a DNS or reverse proxy in the sandbox and move to that before too much data gets in there then the URL won't change when we move to prod. I'm heading in that direction now.

So I'll have to do a reinstall and mini-migration now, let people use the system, and then do a db backup/restore -type of migration to get to prod.

I'm open to suggestions.

Hi Brian

DNS or reverse-proxies are the way to go on this. When you do migrate - can you retain the server name and alter the DNS entry to a new IP address later? If not, I would install a new server now before people add any more data. When you run setup - you need to make sure that the machine name is correct and will remain valid.

regards

anthony
Brian DiCola selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Jared Russell (1.3k12019) | answered Jul 22 '11, 12:03 p.m.
As someone that's changed their public URL and suffered the consequences all I can say is don't do it.

The main two issues we've found are:
    - Dashboards don't save
    - When changing the URL we un-registered the CCM application then re-registered it at the new URL through the JTS setup. This caused duplicate entries in the user's table of the CCM application meaning we couldn't edit user profiles.

The only way to properly migrate from one server to another (with separate URL's) is to export both the project configuration and the work items and then re-import them into the new instance. When is comes to source code I think I remember reading that there is some functionality that allows you to perform cross-repository deliveries, which should preserve the change history of the artefacts.

We are planning to use a sandbox to do some user training and configuration while the production site is being provisioned. But I am sure real data will be entered in the meantime.

We have RM, QM, and CCM all on 3.0.1. Tomcat is the app server. Derby is the database now, but will be Oracle in prod.

How much of a hassle will it be to migrate over the process configuration, project configuration, and artifacts? Specifically, I mean the URI. The installation guide stresses never changing the URI. But if we enter data on machine 1 and then migrate to machine 2, with a new URI, will then the data become corrupt?

permanent link
Brian DiCola (29311415) | answered Aug 01 '11, 9:28 a.m.
Thanks J.

Unfortunately I have to move forward with some kind of migration. Users are putting real data into the sandbox now. The move is planned for months from now.

Maybe if I set up a DNS or reverse proxy in the sandbox and move to that before too much data gets in there then the URL won't change when we move to prod. I'm heading in that direction now.

So I'll have to do a reinstall and mini-migration now, let people use the system, and then do a db backup/restore -type of migration to get to prod.

I'm open to suggestions.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.