It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't start server when trying to trial RQM 3.0.1

Dave Sinclair (1622) | asked Jul 21 '11, 3:05 p.m.
I tried to install the latest RQM trial software (3.0.1) on my Windows 7 SP1 laptop. I'm intending to use the Derby database. I only have one user on my laptop, and that user is an Administrator user. When I try to start the server I get many Java exception reports, including

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\
tomcat\logs\host-manager.2011-07-21.log (Access is denied.)
Jul 21, 2011 7:51:41 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: C:\Program
Files (x86)\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\jre\bin;.;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared.........

SEVERE: Exception processing Global JNDI Resources

javax.naming.NamingException: C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf\tomcat-users.xml.new (Access is denied.)

SEVERE: Exception processing Global JNDI Resources
javax.naming.NamingException: C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\conf\tomcat-users.xml.new (Access is denied.)

LifecycleException: No UserDatabase component found under key UserDatabase

And of course the https://thinkpadw510.home:9443/jts/setup does not connect.

As far as I can tell I've followed the installation process by the book, basically just downloading the install agent, then running it and trying to start the server.

Can anyone say what I've done wrong? Many thanks, Dave Sinclair

4 answers

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Jul 25 '11, 9:13 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Looks like the C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\
tomcat\* directory tree is inaccessible. Try running the startup program as an administrator (see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/m_s_server_installation_start_tomcat.html).

permanent link
Dave Sinclair (1622) | answered Jul 25 '11, 11:05 a.m.
Yes, the error messages make it look like that but as mentioned above

"I only have one user on my laptop, and that user is an Administrator user" so I think i was installing as an user with Administrator rights.

I also tried installing on Suse 11 Enterprise SP1 on a 64 bit 3.5 GB machine and it did install and run briefly, but I get out 'out of memory' errors, on most operations.

And I can't add memory to that machine I'm afraid. Does it really need that much memory to do a simple single user trial?

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Jul 25 '11, 11:09 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not a Windows 7 expert, but being logged in as the Administrator should be suffice. Can you try "Run as Administrator"?

See "Memory Requirements" in https://jazz.net/library/article/632.

permanent link
Dave Sinclair (1622) | answered Aug 01 '11, 4:56 p.m.
I deinstalled RQM etc (via IBM Installation Manager) and then restarted IBM Installatin Manager (using 'Run as Administrator) and then reinstalled the RQM trail. Same permission problems were encountered.

I then cleared sufficient space on my Windows 7 system (Thinkpad W510 with 8G RAM) and installed OpenSuse 11 (Sp1 I thnk). And reinstalled IBM Installation Manger and RQM via that route. It worked.

(incidentally these Forums don't work from my IE9 system, only from Firefox 5.0)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.