It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

TeamConcert replacing RPM?

Justin Wang (1511615) | asked Jun 11 '08, 11:52 a.m.
It is announced that there will be a new PPM tool based jazz tech replacing RPM. Is it TeamConcert? It seems a little light for PPM though.

15 answers

permanent link
Arthur Ryman (6121) | answered Jun 11 '08, 12:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Justin,

I'm the chief architect for the Rational PPM segment and am working on the new PPM tool. No, it's not just TeamConcert, but it will extend TeamConcert with additional capabilities. The new tool was discussed at the recent RSDC conference in the PPM keynote presentation. There are even some screenshots there. See PPM01 General Process and Portfolio Management Track Keynote: Improved Governance through Better Process, Project and Portfolio Management, and Reporting. Do you have access to the conference materials?

permanent link
Ferran Rodenas (1111) | answered Jun 11 '08, 5:01 p.m.
Arthur, I was not able to attend the PPM01 session and the slides are not available at the conference site. Any chance to get them?

permanent link
Arthur Ryman (6121) | answered Jun 11 '08, 6:13 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ferran, I'll look into posting a copy of the presentation somewhere.

permanent link
Justin Wang (1511615) | answered Jun 12 '08, 9:00 a.m.
Thanks Arthur!

I am afraid I can not find the materials you mentioned either... Could you please kindly paste a link here?

I'd like to start early trying the new PPM tool to enable a smooth transition from RPM next year. Is TeamConcert the correct start point?

permanent link
Arthur Ryman (6121) | answered Jun 12 '08, 5:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Justin & Ferran,

I don't have a handy Web site to post the presentation, so I'll just email it to interested people. My email address is:

ryman at ca dot ibm dot com

If anyone else is interested, send me a note.

As for getting started, use Team Concert. We will be basing our work breakdown structure directly on Work Items. Team Concert also has an Agile Planning Tools. We'll be adding other project management tools to this base. We plan to support the usual PMI areas, and add tools that monitor the artifacts you are creating to get a better view of the status, health, and progress of the project. We'll work with leading vendors to integrate estimation tools and other external systems for HR, finance, scheduling, document management, etc.

-- Arthur

permanent link
Justin Wang (1511615) | answered Jun 12 '08, 11:03 p.m.
thanks!

If I install TeamConcert now, can I directly merge the new capabilities later when they are developed or I have to uninstall the old version first to get the new functions?

permanent link
Arthur Ryman (6121) | answered Jun 18 '08, 10:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Justin,

I expect that TeamConcert will undergo evolution and you'll have to do upgrades even without the new PPM functions. I suggest you go ahead on install TeamConcert to learn about its capabilities.

permanent link
Justin Wang (1511615) | answered Jun 23 '08, 8:59 a.m.
Thanks for your suggestion, Arthur!

One more question..

Does Jazz have consideration on any improvement on the script sharing tech of Rational Testing Tools (RFT, FMT, RPT, etc.)?

Currently it is based on Windows Folder Sharing and is not efficiently supporting remote access.

permanent link
Arthur Ryman (6121) | answered Jun 23 '08, 10:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Justin,

I don't know. However, Rational is planning to release a new Jazz-based testing product called Quality Manager. I suggest you start a new thread and see if you can attract a response from someone on the Quality Manager dev team. I'll also forward your question to my QM colleagues.

-- Arthur

permanent link
Justin Wang (1511615) | answered Jun 25 '08, 10:56 a.m.
Thanks, Arthur... let me do that...

And about RTC...

1. I might be wrong but I do not see any repository in RTC to hold PCB or at least to store documents... Could you please kindly direct me?

Also... it would be good if there could be a certain mechanism to link the documents repository to workitems repository, which enables users to navigate from a workitem to its work product efficiently.

2. It might just be my personal preference but I do prefer the way that RPM manages Risks, Actions, Issues separately in Scope Management from Work Management.

In RTC, it seems everything becomes a workitem and it might be confusing to manages Risks, Actions, Issues along with WBS.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.