It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to start RTC Server in English

Karthik Krishnan (8825117163) | asked Jun 30 '11, 3:10 a.m.
Hello,

We have RTC Serer installed in a Windows OS with German MUI. Is it possible to start RTC in English?

I figured out that -nl en on JBE will start Build server in English. But have no idea how to start RTC Serer in English?

Currently RTC project areas has few items in English and few items in German.

Thanks
Karthik

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 30 '11, 8:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

We have RTC Serer installed in a Windows OS with German MUI. Is it possible to start RTC in English?

I figured out that -nl en on JBE will start Build server in English. But have no idea how to start RTC Serer in English?

Currently RTC project areas has few items in English and few items in German.

Thanks
Karthik

Hi Kartik,

You can set the -Duser.language in the server.startup.bat or add it in the service as parameter.

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx4000M
rem set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xgcpolicy:gencon
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dlog4j.configuration=file:///%PATH_URL%conf/startup_log4j.properties
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Duser.language=en

I typically put -Duser.language=en into the server.startup(s) the Eclipse.ini and the JBE.ini.

Please note, you should do that before you set up the server and create the projects.
Karthik Krishnan selected this answer as the correct answer

9 other answers

permanent link
Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | answered Jun 30 '11, 9:53 a.m.
Hi,

we have the same problem with the RTC301 server on system-i, because our admin has installed RTC301 with primary german.

I have installed my client's with english and now I have a mixed enwironment.

Can I easily change the primary of RTC-server into english?

Thanks for help
Andreas

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825117163) | answered Jun 30 '11, 11:01 a.m.

Hi Kartik,

You can set the -Duser.language in the server.startup.bat or add it in the service as parameter.

set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xmx4000M
rem set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Xgcpolicy:gencon
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Dlog4j.configuration=file:///%PATH_URL%conf/startup_log4j.properties
set JAVA_OPTS=%JAVA_OPTS% -Duser.language=en

I typically put -Duser.language=en into the server.startup(s) the Eclipse.ini and the JBE.ini.

Please note, you should do that before you set up the server and create the projects.

Hi Ralph,

My client eclipse is showing most of items in English.
Now that RTC Server is setup and running, If I make this change now, will the new project area created after this change will be fully in English ?

Thank you
Karthik

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 30 '11, 11:24 a.m.
Hi,

we have the same problem with the RTC301 server on system-i, because our admin has installed RTC301 with primary german.

I have installed my client's with english and now I have a mixed enwironment.

Can I easily change the primary of RTC-server into english?

Thanks for help
Andreas

Hi Andreas, to be honest, I am not sure.

At least for projects already created I am not completely sure.

If you change the user language most of the language will switch to English. Projects that have been created with a German language template not change the language. I am not sure what you will see.

Another issue is that the browser preferred language is also picked up. So I run my browser with Englisch as preferred language.

I created a work item for this, but there seems to be no easy solution to this.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jun 30 '11, 11:26 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

My client eclipse is showing most of items in English.
Now that RTC Server is setup and running, If I make this change now, will the new project area created after this change will be fully in English ?

Thank you
Karthik

Hi Kartik,

you should also make sure to pick the English template. As mentioned in this thread your language setting in the browser also impacts how the web behaves.

permanent link
Andreas Nicoladoni (19612523) | answered Jul 01 '11, 1:56 a.m.

If you change the user language most of the language will switch to English. Projects that have been created with a German language template not change the language. I am not sure what you will see.

Another issue is that the browser preferred language is also picked up. So I run my browser with Englisch as preferred language.

Hi Ralph,

thanks for answer and opening the workitem. There are the and the keywords of the workitems in german, but the description and others in english and this mix is nerving.

Thanks
Andreas

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 01 '11, 2:30 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

thanks for answer and opening the workitem. There are the and the keywords of the workitems in german, but the description and others in english and this mix is nerving.

Thanks
Andreas

I completely agree. I always make sure to set the language to en after the install and I also switch my browser to English. Also do it for the JBE and the Eclipse based Clients.

Can you give more details where you see the mix? In the Web or in Eclipse?

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825117163) | answered Jul 01 '11, 3:28 a.m.

Hi Kartik,

you should also make sure to pick the English template. As mentioned in this thread your language setting in the browser also impacts how the web behaves.

Hi Ralph

I did start the server with the parameters you had suggested. I then created a new project Area with Formal process template IN English.

In eclipse I see all the items in English except for
1. Folders under Reports are in German
2. Under Process Configuration of Project Area, everything is in German

I have mix of Both English and German even though I have all english settings

Any idea how I could get this changed to English?

Thank you
Karthik

permanent link
Eike Meyer (612211) | answered Jul 01 '11, 3:32 a.m.
From what I have seen the language settings you get to see in the web comprise of your browser language, your RTC user settings regarding work environment, the process template language, the language chosen during RTC server installation and the language settings of the server OS.

In our case we installed RTC on a server with english OS settings and although we have switched every other setting to german and selected the german language during install, we do not get the 'links' menu on the links tab on work items in german but it still remains english. This was with RTC 3.0 and not 3.01 though.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 01 '11, 5:05 a.m.

Hi Ralph

I did start the server with the parameters you had suggested. I then created a new project Area with Formal process template IN English.

In eclipse I see all the items in English except for
1. Folders under Reports are in German
2. Under Process Configuration of Project Area, everything is in German

I have mix of Both English and German even though I have all english settings

Any idea how I could get this changed to English?

Thank you
Karthik

Hi, my only advice is:

Set the user language in server.startup, jbe.ini, Eclipse ini (if not you will get a mix there), switch browser language to english. If that does not help, I don't know what would.

I do that and deselect the German language option and I get rid of German language.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.