It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC-3.0.1.2, web UI: don't switch editor to edit mode?

Daniel Junglas (2144) | asked Feb 17 '12, 1:43 a.m.
Hi,

I hope this is the right place to ask my question and that it has not been asked before (I searched the Forum but could not find an answer).
We recently switched from RTC 2 to RTC 3.0.1.2 and now observe the following annoying behavior:
We have a work item type that has a custom property of type "Large String". The Editor Presentation for this property is set to "Text". In the web UI, the property is displayed as a paragraph of text with and an "Edit" button, that is fine and used to be so. What is new is the following: As soon as I click somewhere into this text paragraph the presentation switches to edit mode: the text paragraph is replaced by a rich text editor. One problem with this rich text editor is that it eats all line feeds that are in the text. It shows everything as one flat string. Another problem is that we often want to select a part of the text using the mouse and then copy it to the clipboard using Ctrl-C. This task is now very difficult since a simple click activates the editor and with all line feeds removed it is often hard to find the text you were looking for.

The problem does not occur when we set the Editor Presentation for the property to "HTML". In that case editing mode is only entered if we click on "Edit".

Is there any way to prevent the "Text" Editor Representation from automatically switching into edit mode?
What is the actual difference between Editor Presentations "Text" and "HTML"? Why do they behave differently?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Junglas (2144) | answered Feb 21 '12, 11:36 a.m.
OK, I did not find a solution for the problem but the following workaround did work for us: We switched the editor presentation for the "large string" attribute to "Description".
This editor presentation no longer activates edit mode automagically and also does not add HTML tags to the text entered.

permanent link
Daniel Junglas (2144) | answered Feb 22 '12, 8:36 a.m.
Unfortunately, I have to correct myself: The "Description" editor presentation does add HTML tags to the text.
This is annoying. Is there any editor that does not add any tags? Or property is of type "large string" (not large HTML) and we really want to have a plain text editor. The editor presentation "Text" did work fine in the past but now it has this annoying "switch to edit mode property" that I described in my initial post.
What are we supposed to do to have the following behavior:
- a property that has plain text values (no tags, no decoration, no links)
- an editor presentation that does not add tags or other stuff
- an editor presentation that does not automatically switch to edit mode as soon as you click anything in the editor
?
Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

permanent link
Daniel Junglas (2144) | answered Feb 22 '12, 8:42 a.m.
To be more specific: the "Description" editor presentation adds <br> tags for all line breaks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.