It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project Area Process Sharing

Milan Krivic (98013176143) | asked Jun 08 '11, 10:13 a.m.
Hi,

I created three project areas (A,B and C) with same process template. For project Area A, I said that this PA can share process to other project areas. In project areas B and C, I said that they use process from another project areas, and I choose A.
So, I added one more literal for enumeration custom attribute in project area A, but I didn't see changes in project areas B and C?

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

13 answers

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Jun 09 '11, 4:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Milan,

If you have an existing project area and want to convert it to consume process without overriding the process from the provider, you should unconfigure the process in the existing project. The easiest way to do this is to edit the XML from the Process Configuration Source tab. Removing everything except this will force all configuration to come from the provider:
<process>

<project>
</project>
</process>

If you are using 3.0, you may be running into a caching issue with the attributes. This is fixed in 3.0 iFix1 and 3.0.1. If this workaround does not work, please file a defect with steps to reproduce the issue and we can investigate.

Workaround:
- change B back to "Do not share this PA's process" in the project area editor
- save
- change B to "Use the process from another proect area" and choose project A
- save

Martha
Jazz Developer, Process Team

Hello,

The project area editors reflect the process specification of the project being edited. They do not show the actual configuration as it is applied at runtime. In this case, it means that the new literal will not show up in the project area editor for project B and project C, but will show up when a work item is created in project B or project C.

By the way, any project that is going to consume process should be created with the Unconfigured Process template to avoid overriding the process provider's configuration unintentionally. Make sure you choose Unconfigured Process when you create project B and project C.

Martha
Jazz Developer, Process Component

Hi,

I created three project areas (A,B and C) with same process template. For project Area A, I said that this PA can share process to other project areas. In project areas B and C, I said that they use process from another project areas, and I choose A.
So, I added one more literal for enumeration custom attribute in project area A, but I didn't see changes in project areas B and C?

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

So, this means that sharing doesn't work for other process templates,for example Formal Project Template? I also deleted timelines and iterations...All of our projects use customized formal project template, and like it is said that sharing process template will be possible in 3.0, we customized formal project template because of time tracking.
Also, when I used unconfigured process to create PA which will share process, and created other PA which follows this PA, I saw changes only when I restarted JTS...

Comments
Jason Fregien commented Jun 05 '12, 3:20 p.m. | edited Jun 05 '12, 3:23 p.m.

We have RTC 3.0.1.2 and I was having this problem. This answer did the trick for me. I deleted all the Process Config XML and replaced it with:
<process-specification xmlns="http://com.ibm.team.process">
</process-specification>
Then changed the Process Sharing back to normal, then selected the project process to use, and then it worked.

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Jun 09 '11, 1:37 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

The project area editors reflect the process specification of the project being edited. They do not show the actual configuration as it is applied at runtime. In this case, it means that the new literal will not show up in the project area editor for project B and project C, but will show up when a work item is created in project B or project C.

By the way, any project that is going to consume process should be created with the Unconfigured Process template to avoid overriding the process provider's configuration unintentionally. Make sure you choose Unconfigured Process when you create project B and project C.

Martha

Hi,

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98013176143) | answered Jun 09 '11, 4:30 p.m.
Hello,

Martha

Hi,

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

So, this means that sharing doesn't work for other process templates,for example Formal Project Template? I also deleted timelines and iterations...All of our projects use customized formal project template, and like it is said that sharing process template will be possible in 3.0, we customized formal project template because of time tracking.
Also, when I used unconfigured process to create PA which will share process, and created other PA which follows this PA, I saw changes only when I restarted JTS...

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98013176143) | answered Jun 09 '11, 5:07 p.m.
Hello Milan,

If you have an existing project area and want to convert it to consume process without overriding the process from the provider, you should unconfigure the process in the existing project. The easiest way to do this is to edit the XML from the Process Configuration Source tab. Removing everything except this will force all configuration to come from the provider:
&lt;process&gt;

&lt;project&gt;
&lt;/project&gt;
&lt;/process&gt;

If you are using 3.0, you may be running into a caching issue with the attributes. This is fixed in 3.0 iFix1 and 3.0.1. If this workaround does not work, please file a defect with steps to reproduce the issue and we can investigate.

Workaround:
- change B back to &quot;Do not share this PA's process&quot; in the project area editor
- save
- change B to &quot;Use the process from another proect area&quot; and choose project A
- save

Martha

Hello,

Martha

Hi,

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

Hello Martha,

Does this mean that I can enable my existing project areas made in formal project template to follow project area also made in formal project template by removing everything except what you mentioned?
I am using rtc 3.0 ifix1.

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Jun 09 '11, 6:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello Milan,

&lt;process&gt;

&lt;project&gt;
&lt;/project&gt;
&lt;/process&gt;

Workaround:
- change B back to &quot;Do not share this PA's process&quot; in the project area editor
- save
- change B to &quot;Use the process from another proect area&quot; and choose project A
- save

Martha

Hello,

Martha

Hi,

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

Hello Martha,

Does this mean that I can enable my existing project areas made in formal project template to follow project area also made in formal project template by removing everything except what you mentioned?

Hello,

You must set the &quot;Consume process from another project area&quot;, and choose the process providing project area. Then, edit the XML in the consuming project area. At this point, all process information will come from the process provider.

Martha

permanent link
Milan Krivic (98013176143) | answered Jun 10 '11, 7:30 a.m.
Hello Milan,

&lt;process&gt;

&lt;project&gt;
&lt;/project&gt;
&lt;/process&gt;

Workaround:
- save
- save

Martha

Hello,

Martha

Hi,

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

Hello Martha,

Hello,

You must set the &quot;Consume process from another project area&quot;, and choose the process providing project area. Then, edit the XML in the consuming project area. At this point, all process information will come from the process provider.

Martha

Hello Martha,

This approach work, but changes are not seen immediately. I see them when I set on consuming PA that it doesn't follow any PA, then return to follow some PA. When I click Save, changes in consuming PA are seen.

What could be the reason for this?

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Jun 10 '11, 9:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

The behavior you describe sounds like a caching issues that is fixed in 3.0iFix 1. If you are already using 3.0iFix1 or later, please file a work item with the steps to recreate the issue so we can investigate the cause.

Thanks,
Martha

permanent link
Jeff Foege (45266960) | answered Aug 11 '11, 1:24 p.m.
Hello Milan,

&lt;process&gt;

&lt;project&gt;
&lt;/project&gt;
&lt;/process&gt;

Workaround:
- save
- save

Martha

I don't see the code section you are talking about. I do see the /process-specification end. Do you mean I delete eveything between that? That would be around 3000+ lines. I'm trying to find a way to move/update/share the process template work I've done in one project to the other projects. You stated that it would be easier to remove the process template from an existing project if I want to consume the process template from another project.

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Aug 11 '11, 9:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Jeff,

I apologize; there was a typo in my previous response. The element names are process-specification (the outer element) and project-configuration (the inner element).

As you mention, this will essentially leave you with an empty specification on your process consumer. Since the specification on the consumer is empty, the information from the provider will be used.

The key is that any specification on a consuming project will override what the process provider defines. This behavior is by design. It allows consuming project areas to override parts of the provider process that are not correct for them. To get rid of the overrides, get rid of the specification in the consumer.

If your consuming project area has modifications (such as added work item fields or more generous permissions) that the provider does not have, you do not want to remove those. In your case it sounds like the consuming area uses exactly the same process as the providing area, so you can remove all specification in the consuming area.

Martha

Hello Milan,

&lt;process&gt;

&lt;project&gt;
&lt;/project&gt;
&lt;/process&gt;

Workaround:
- save
- save

Martha

I don't see the code section you are talking about. I do see the /process-specification end. Do you mean I delete eveything between that? That would be around 3000+ lines. I'm trying to find a way to move/update/share the process template work I've done in one project to the other projects. You stated that it would be easier to remove the process template from an existing project if I want to consume the process template from another project.

permanent link
Thomas Loeber (62237950) | answered Sep 07 '11, 11:04 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

Martha

Hi,

Any help ASAP!

Regards,

Martha, will the new literal enumeration show up if the &quot;Synchornize Attribtes&quot; action is taken from the Work Items List?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.