It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Running multiple Test Scripts against the same Environment

Barton Akeley (4631) | asked Apr 28 '11, 5:51 p.m.
Hi, I am trying to create a Test-case with many test scripts. When it comes time to actually perform the testing, I want to run each script against the same platform (i.e. windows)

What I've found is that I am not allowed to create TER with the same environment more than once within my test-case. This means I can only mark completed points against one test script per platform per test-case.

Is there a way to get completed points counted for all of my test scripts against the same environment?

I did see that I can run multiple scripts against the same environment in succession, but I don't see that any additional points are added to my test plan for doing it. I would much prefer a separate TER for each script/environment combination.

Is this possible with RQM?

2 answers

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Apr 28 '11, 6:08 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, I am trying to create a Test-case with many test scripts. When it comes time to actually perform the testing, I want to run each script against the same platform (i.e. windows)

What I've found is that I am not allowed to create TER with the same environment more than once within my test-case. This means I can only mark completed points against one test script per platform per test-case.

Is there a way to get completed points counted for all of my test scripts against the same environment?

I did see that I can run multiple scripts against the same environment in succession, but I don't see that any additional points are added to my test plan for doing it. I would much prefer a separate TER for each script/environment combination.

Is this possible with RQM?

Currently it is not possible. The TER is identified by test case, test plan, milestone and environment. And RQM wouldn't allow you to have duplicate TERs where all of those criteria are the same. RQM doesn't use Test Script to distinguish a TER. So you can't have a TER tied to a specific Test Script. And most of the execution reports only report on the last execution of the TER. So if you are using the same TER to execute different scripts, then for reporting purposes you will only see the results of the last script you ran with that TER. Not all scripts ran with that TER.

To capture the results of all the scripts you would either need to use different test cases or different environments. Or you would have to write custom reports that look at more than a TERs last result.

Also you should file an enhancement request against RQM to better handle this situation.

permanent link
Barton Akeley (4631) | answered May 09 '11, 11:19 a.m.
I have created a new enhancement:

50771 - Ability to create a TER for each script in a test case

http://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=50771

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.