It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Getting Started - Cant seem to get going..

Anthony Petti (61) | asked Apr 17 '11, 11:17 p.m.
Been going at it for hours now.

Would really like to play in RTC to try to create a few source files and understand how sharig and conflict management (merging) work. Would be nice to create a defect to change some source. and assign it. then work the defect and submit change. Simple stuff..

Attempt 1: Sandbox
Not able to do any of that in the sandbox project as I just get a jazz server error when I try to create a source file or folder. Not able to add some fake users to the sandbox project without having to go through the registration process for each user as if they were real people. SO I get the feeling there is not much that I can do with the sanbox, i.e. no privileges to create users, add files, etc.

Attempt 2: Local Installation
Tried to install RTC 3.0 and eclipse client on my laptop. Nothing but problems going that route. Got stuck during the install trying to find out how to setup the . Being a local install I just edited my host file to label 127.0.0.1 to mysite.jazz.dev as a fully qualified hostname which seamed to work.

My Setup: Mac OS X with Windows XP running in VMWare. Installed RTC. Tried to configure the server and it looked like it was successful. When I start the server it takes about 2 minutes. But when I launch the eclipse client and try to connect to the repository or even try to browse to the server through internet explorer it just sits there forever spinning. If I try using internet explorer to login to the jazz server via https://mysite.jazz.dev:9443/jts/admin then it gives the certificate warning and sits there forever spinning. (attempt 2 is proving unusable)

Attempt 3:
Thought Id try another route that the tutorial implies may be easier: Creating my own jUnit example project form the eclipse client . Unfortunately that requires the user to be a JazzAdmin and the user that was create for me when I made a jazz.net account is apparently not an admin. I have been unable to grant myself those privileges though jazz.net.

Can anyone provide an idea of how I can get a test project up and running to demo the source control and config management capabilities in RTC?

Thanks in advance!
Anthony

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Petti (61) | answered May 03 '11, 2:38 p.m.
Attempt 2 Revisited
Got it working, problems in Apache were causing 100% CPU utilization. All is well.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered May 03 '11, 2:54 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Attempt 2 Revisited
Got it working, problems in Apache were causing 100% CPU utilization. All is well.

Welcome, and glad you got this working.

Just so you know - as a test system, you can use an unqualified name and while it still gives a warning, it works but would not be recommended for a production install.

You can use Eclipse, commandline and the webUI natively on the Mac, and just run the server on your VM. A lot of the RTC developers have Mac's as their primary machines, so while not officially supported at this time - it works and you can get help here on the forum.

Ask more Q on this forum if you need help.

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.