It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Problem using inheritance for Roles

Steve Woodbridge (1352326) | asked Apr 13 '11, 5:02 p.m.
I created a Role at the Project level.
I them created a Team (via Team Organization).

I added my id to the Team members list and assigned the new role. (It was inherited from the Project)

When I tried to create the Work Item, it failed saying that I didn't have the necessary permission(s).

I removed my name from the Team member list and added it to the Project member list. Again I assigned the Role that I had created.

When I tried to create the Work Item. it was successful.

Am I doing something wrong - or missing a step ? Or not setting some value when I set up the Team ? There seems to be enough information for the inheritance of the Role from the parent. But when it comes to actual execution, I run into this problem.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

2 answers

permanent link
Thomas Yu (45183) | answered Apr 13 '11, 10:08 p.m.

I added my id to the Team members list and assigned the new role. (It was inherited from the Project)

When I tried to create the Work Item, it failed saying that I didn't have the necessary permission(s).

I removed my name from the Team member list and added it to the Project member list. Again I assigned the Role that I had created.

Am I doing something wrong - or missing a step ? Or not setting some value when I set up the Team ? There seems to be enough information for the inheritance of the Role from the parent. But when it comes to actual execution, I run into this problem.

Looks when you create the work item, it is filed against the work item category which is associated with your Project area. You should first create a work item category,and associate it with your team area, then create the work item against that category(which is associated with your team area)

permanent link
Phillip Piper (15812524) | answered Nov 10 '11, 2:10 p.m.

Looks when you create the work item, it is filed against the work item category which is associated with your Project area. You should first create a work item category,and associate it with your team area, then create the work item against that category(which is associated with your team area)

Thomas, are you stating that you can only open work items against categories which are associated with areas where you are a member?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.