It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a linkage from RAM to DOORS

Izumi Satoh (2622) | asked Apr 08 '11, 4:41 p.m.
Hi,

I'd like to create a link from an asset in RAM to an item in DOORS.

I've already tried the following 3 patterns, but currently there's no successful way.

Environment:
RAM 7.5.0.2
DOORS 9.3.0.1
DWA 1.4.0.2

Pattern 1) Creating a collaboration link as a resource attribute
1. I set "Cross-server communication" as a reference bellow:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DoorsDWAInstallation
2. A resource attribute in RAM asset is successfully created and the resource attribute is shown as a collaboration link in an asset.
3. Pressing the collaboration link on an asset, a DWA login screen comes up.
4. After login, a small DWA screen is shown.
5. But there's no "select button" like something, so I cannot select any object as link target on DWA.

Pattern 2) Creating an external link in asset contents to DOORS ("doors:")
1. On DOORS rich client, I selected an object and "copy URL".
2. In an asset, I entered the copied URL in an external URL as one of content.
3. After saving, I clicked the created doors link, but it cannot reach the object of DOORS with an error.
Because the "doors" URL is automatically encoded (":" character -> "%3A") by RAM when saving, so the link is no longer correct one.

Pattern 3) Creating an external link in asset contents to DOORS (HTML link or OSLC link)
I couldn't find any way how to obtain either HTML link or OSLC link that identify an object in DOORS.

I'd be very happy if there's any clue concerning this.

Thank you in advance.

6 answers

permanent link
Eric Bordeau (27632) | answered Apr 11 '11, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Pattern 1)
If you're following the instructions on the link you posted, that's not going to work. That's for RTC. You need to go into RAM's administration section, click on Cross-Server Communication, click New Friend Server button, then fill out the name, secret and root services URL.
Pattern 2)
I tried adding a link artifact that started with doors:// and it worked fine... the : was not encoded.
Pattern 3)
I don't see how this is different than #2.

permanent link
Izumi Satoh (2622) | answered Apr 11 '11, 3:28 p.m.
Thank you for your reply, Eric.

Pattern 1)
If you're following the instructions on the link you posted, that's not going to work. That's for RTC. You need to go into RAM's administration section, click on Cross-Server Communication, click New Friend Server button, then fill out the name, secret and root services URL.

Of course, I did the setting for adding friend server in RAM's administration section, and it seems to work on the halfway..
I mean that a resource link on a asset can be shown and by clicking the link DWA window can comes up, but I CANNOT select any requirement item in DOORS for link target.
Have you tried it?If it works fine in your environment, please let me know which versions you've tried it.

Pattern 2)
I tried adding a link artifact that started with doors:// and it worked fine... the : was not encoded.

Please let me know which RAM version you're using?

Pattern 3)

I just want to try either HTML or OSLC link if it doesn't contain any ":" characters in those URLs unlike "doors:" URL.
But I couldn't figure out how to get those URLs from DOORS..

permanent link
Eric Bordeau (27632) | answered Apr 11 '11, 5:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Pattern 1)

Of course, I did the setting for adding friend server in RAM's administration section, and it seems to work on the halfway..
I mean that a resource link on a asset can be shown and by clicking the link DWA window can comes up, but I CANNOT select any requirement item in DOORS for link target.
Have you tried it?If it works fine in your environment, please let me know which versions you've tried it.

I'm not sure what's happening... here's what's supposed to happen. When you submit an asset, you see a resource attribute with a link that says "Add link to resource...". Then you click that and you see a menu with the name of the friend server you created. Hover over that and you should get a new window that pops up (assuming you aren't already logged in to DWA) where you'll log in. After you log in, you should see another menu open with service providers. Hover over one of those and you'll see another menu with the dialogs you can open. Click one of those and a dialog will open where you can select/create a requirement.

Pattern 2)

Please let me know which RAM version you're using?

This was on 7.5.0.2. Are you using the web client or rich client?

Pattern 3)

I just want to try either HTML or OSLC link if it doesn't contain any ":" characters in those URLs unlike "doors:" URL.
But I couldn't figure out how to get those URLs from DOORS..

Any URL you use as an artifact needs to have a protocol (e.g. http://, ftp://, doors://).

permanent link
Izumi Satoh (2622) | answered Apr 11 '11, 6:20 p.m.
Thank you for your quick response and kind help, Eric.
It's very helpful for me!

Pattern 1)
I'm not sure what's happening... here's what's supposed to happen. When you submit an asset, you see a resource attribute with a link that says "Add link to resource...". Then you click that and you see a menu with the name of the friend server you created. Hover over that and you should get a new window that pops up (assuming you aren't already logged in to DWA) where you'll log in.

You're right.
Even if I've already logged in to DWA, a login screen always pops up..
I guess it might be because I didn't check "trusted" flag on "Friend server" setting since I didn't know what to fill in "Authentication URL" of DWA.
I'd be very glad if you let me know about that.

After you log in, you should see another menu open with service providers.

No.. I've never seen that "another menu" or something like that.
In my environment, entire DWA window always pops up instead of the "another menu".

Hover over one of those and you'll see another menu with the dialogs you can open. Click one of those and a dialog will open where you can select/create a requirement.

Oh.. In your environment, a collaboration link from RAM to DOORS seems to work fine.
Is possible, could you tell me the detailed information for setting service provider, such as "OAuth consumer", "Friend server" in RAM and "Remote Service", "Local key" in DOORS?

Pattern 2)
This was on 7.5.0.2. Are you using the web client or rich client?

I'm using both.
But I could figure out http URL corresponding to DOORS URL link.
(http://host:8080/dwa/dwa.jsp?version=2&prodID=0&urn=urn:telelogic::xxx..)
And I could confirm that this link in RAM navigates to the corresponding requirement item in DWA.

So, my problem concerning Pattern2&3 has been solved. Thanks!

permanent link
Eric Bordeau (27632) | answered Apr 12 '11, 11:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

permanent link
Graham Bleakley (611) | answered Apr 20 '11, 1:57 p.m.
Hi,

I'd like to create a link from an asset in RAM to an item in DOORS.

I've already tried the following 3 patterns, but currently there's no successful way.

Environment:
RAM 7.5.0.2
DOORS 9.3.0.1
DWA 1.4.0.2

Pattern 1) Creating a collaboration link as a resource attribute
1. I set "Cross-server communication" as a reference bellow:
https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DoorsDWAInstallation
2. A resource attribute in RAM asset is successfully created and the resource attribute is shown as a collaboration link in an asset.
3. Pressing the collaboration link on an asset, a DWA login screen comes up.
4. After login, a small DWA screen is shown.
5. But there's no "select button" like something, so I cannot select any object as link target on DWA.

Pattern 2) Creating an external link in asset contents to DOORS ("doors:")
1. On DOORS rich client, I selected an object and "copy URL".
2. In an asset, I entered the copied URL in an external URL as one of content.
3. After saving, I clicked the created doors link, but it cannot reach the object of DOORS with an error.
Because the "doors" URL is automatically encoded (":" character -> "%3A") by RAM when saving, so the link is no longer correct one.

Pattern 3) Creating an external link in asset contents to DOORS (HTML link or OSLC link)
I couldn't find any way how to obtain either HTML link or OSLC link that identify an object in DOORS.

I'd be very happy if there's any clue concerning this.

Thank you in advance.

Hi
I have been going through a similar set of problems myself with respect to Settig up DWA and RAM

My main concerns are the DWA secret
What is it ?
How do i set in DWA ?

The other thing is that when i leave out the friend key when doing the cross-server check RAM raises an error message.

The other is the did you set your DWA server with an SSL certificate so that it had a https: url ?

Thanks in advance

Graham

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.