It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Deleting Work Items

Edwin Chan (3631) | asked Mar 15 '11, 4:21 p.m.
I'm using RTC 2.0.0.2 and I notice that the GUI doesn't support the deletion of work items.

I managed to delete a work item using OSLC CM REST and I was wondering if this is safe and clean (ex. not leave dangling pointers).

5 answers

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Mar 16 '11, 8:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm using RTC 2.0.0.2 and I notice that the GUI doesn't support the deletion of work items.

I managed to delete a work item using OSLC CM REST and I was wondering if this is safe and clean (ex. not leave dangling pointers).
I'm not sure what your OSLC CM REST call did but work item deletion wasn't implemented until RTC 3.0.1.

permanent link
Edwin Chan (3631) | answered Mar 16 '11, 8:41 a.m.
I'm not sure what your OSLC CM REST call did but work item deletion wasn't implemented until RTC 3.0.1.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I figure I'd give it a try anyways since I needed it. OSLC states that it's not mandatory for the service to have the ability to delete change request.

As the document states, the call is just a simple HTTP Delete to the work item URI. It DOES work as any subsequent queries for the work item returns a "item does not exist".

But my concern is if it is doing it properly.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Mar 16 '11, 10:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I figure I'd give it a try anyways since I needed it. OSLC states that it's not mandatory for the service to have the ability to delete change request.

As the document states, the call is just a simple HTTP Delete to the work item URI. It DOES work as any subsequent queries for the work item returns a "item does not exist".

But my concern is if it is doing it properly.https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/59173

You may want to look at the work item delete story. It seems that for 2.0, work items are not deleted but archived. It's likely that the OSLC CM REST call archived the work item instead of deleting it. I'm not sure what the call does in 3.0.1 or how to archive a work item. The user probably needs to be a project administrator to archive since deleting also requires admin status.

permanent link
Edwin Chan (3631) | answered Mar 16 '11, 10:24 a.m.
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/59173

You may want to look at the work item delete story. It seems that for 2.0, work items are not deleted but archived. It's likely that the OSLC CM REST call archived the work item instead of deleting it. I'm not sure what the call does in 3.0.1 or how to archive a work item. The user probably needs to be a project administrator to archive since deleting also requires admin status.

I can't find it anywhere. I used a work item query with no conditions. I also tried running a report of work items including all archived work items as well. Shouldn't the URL for the work item still work even if it is archived?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 16 '11, 11:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of any "archive" operation being available on work items
in 2.0 (although there are things you can do to "effectively" archive a
work item, such as re-parenting it to a "junk" project area).

I'm also not aware of any "delete" operation being available on work
items in 2.0, so I am intrigued as to what is going on.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 3/16/2011 10:08 AM, tmok wrote:
eykchanwrote:
I'm not sure what your OSLC CM REST call did
but work item deletion wasn't implemented until RTC 3.0.1.I'm not sure
what your OSLC CM REST call did but work item deletion wasn't
implemented until RTC 3.0.1.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I figure I'd give it a try anyways
since I needed it. OSLC states that it's not mandatory for the
service to have the ability to delete change request.

As the document states, the call is just a simple HTTP Delete to the
work item URI. It DOES work as any subsequent queries for the work
item returns a "item does not exist".

But my concern is if it is doing it
properly.
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/59173

You may want to look at the work item delete story. It seems that for
2.0, work items are not deleted but archived. It's likely that the
OSLC CM REST call archived the work item instead of deleting it. I'm
not sure what the call does in 3.0.1 or how to archive a work item.
The user probably needs to be a project administrator to archive
since deleting also requires admin status.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.