It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

When I create a project in RQM where does the project gets s

Solomon Chikkala (11255) | asked Feb 04 '11, 11:27 a.m.
When I create a project in RQM where does the project gets saved?

7 answers

permanent link
Mahesh Yelisetti (26) | answered Feb 04 '11, 11:38 a.m.

Good question, Even I was researching this

Apparently unlike Test Manager where projects were saved in a directory like <server>\project_name\tm\datastore\tms_testplans\ *.rtxml as well as in the database, in quality manager they are straight away encoded into the database

So you may not be able to view a xml file or any trace of the project area that you created

This has both benefits and disadvantages

Benefit: If we need to hack data and change something, it is done in one unique place: the database

Disadvantage: The fact that you cannot immediately trace information about the project unless you know the database schema and have a method to connect to it (Example Toad for Derby or Toad for Db2) depending on where your quality manager instance is running

permanent link
Mahesh Yelisetti (26) | answered Feb 04 '11, 11:44 a.m.
When I am trying to create and save an Execution schedule with a large number of test suites, or a test suite with a large number of test cases, I get an error which seems to indicate a limit on the number of test steps:

Is there any workaround for example to increas ethe limit of the step s

Error:
Validation errors for item: type = ExecutionSequence, itemId = Value of attribute "steps.stepJSON" is 6700 bytes, which is greater than the allowed encoded length of 1000 bytes.
ize?

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Feb 04 '11, 1:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In reference to your saving suites and schedules with large steps. I've personally haven't seen this before and it seems like potentially a real issue. If you don't get an answer soon, please file a defect against the RQM project. Be specific with your environment and version info and any steps you can give to help developers recreate the issue. Submitting a bug is done via:

http://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

Also, your post is off the topic of this thread. Please create new thread in the future when the topic changes. Thx.

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Feb 04 '11, 1:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Good question, Even I was researching this

Apparently unlike Test Manager where projects were saved in a directory like <server>\project_name\tm\datastore\tms_testplans\ *.rtxml as well as in the database, in quality manager they are straight away encoded into the database

So you may not be able to view a xml file or any trace of the project area that you created

This has both benefits and disadvantages

Benefit: If we need to hack data and change something, it is done in one unique place: the database

Disadvantage: The fact that you cannot immediately trace information about the project unless you know the database schema and have a method to connect to it (Example Toad for Derby or Toad for Db2) depending on where your quality manager instance is running

Yes, the project area is only stored in the database. Along with all other information that is in RQM. It is not advised that you try examining the data in the database or modify the database directly. Those tables can be deceiving and you will likely get in trouble by doing this. Instead, RQM makes it's data available via a public REST API and a publicly defined XML schema. See this link for more information:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RqmApi

permanent link
Solomon Chikkala (11255) | answered Feb 07 '11, 8:48 a.m.
Difference between Test Case and test Script in RQM

permanent link
Mahesh Yelisetti (26) | answered Feb 08 '11, 1:05 p.m.
Thank You Kurtsim
I will log the defect today and update this post with a defect number
Appreciate your help

In reference to your saving suites and schedules with large steps. I've personally haven't seen this before and it seems like potentially a real issue. If you don't get an answer soon, please file a defect against the RQM project. Be specific with your environment and version info and any steps you can give to help developers recreate the issue. Submitting a bug is done via:

http://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem

Also, your post is off the topic of this thread. Please create new thread in the future when the topic changes. Thx.

permanent link
Mahesh Yelisetti (26) | answered Feb 08 '11, 1:20 p.m.
Hi Kurtis,

Here is the work order number: 45077
Thank You again for your help

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.