It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"scm zimport" for binary files does not go to .zOS

Takehiko Amano (1.3k3741) | asked Jan 17 '11, 9:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I need to understand spec of "scm zimport". I understand that binary files on zOS is handled separately from source codes which are under zOSsrc.
I think binary files should go to .zOSbin directory.

However, If I run "scm zimport" command, binary files goes to zOSsrc, rather than .zOSbin.

Is this a bug, or is there any workaround ?

6 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jan 18 '11, 8:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I need to understand spec of "scm zimport". I understand that binary files on zOS is handled separately from source codes which are under zOSsrc.
I think binary files should go to .zOSbin directory.

However, If I run "scm zimport" command, binary files goes to zOSsrc, rather than .zOSbin.

Is this a bug, or is there any workaround ?

zImport is a source import tool only. What binaries are you trying to bring in? ... COBOL executables? or something else. Right now we do not recommend storing the executables inside of the RTC scm and our tooling (i.e z build) does not suport this.

Guy

permanent link
Takehiko Amano (1.3k3741) | answered Jan 19 '11, 2:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is customer's requirement to version control load modules as well as source codes. This enables to go back to previous load module when something goes wrong. The load modules are compiled and stored into dataset for load modules.

What binaries are you trying to bring in? ... COBOL executables? or something else. Right now we do not recommend storing the executables inside of the RTC scm and our tooling (i.e z build) does not suport this.

Guy

Anyway, I told that currently "scm zimport" only imports to zOSsrc. Probably, CM administator needs to checkin and deliver to .zOSbin (i.e. zOS binary folder). If it makes sense where "scm zimport" imports files depending on dataset (source or load module), I can create Enhancement request record. Please let me know.

Thanks for your reply !

permanent link
Motoharu Funahashi (4845) | answered Jan 19 '11, 10:20 a.m.
In respond to Guy's inquiry, (please allow me append this, Amano san)
>What binaries are you trying to bring in? ...
jar, war and/or ear files are in mind. Are these types of file should not be stored into RTC repository? Sorry for this basic design questio, but this is a key to our use of repository.

This is customer's requirement to version control load modules as well as source codes. This enables to go back to previous load module when something goes wrong. The load modules are compiled and stored into dataset for load modules.

What binaries are you trying to bring in? ... COBOL executables? or something else. Right now we do not recommend storing the executables inside of the RTC scm and our tooling (i.e z build) does not suport this.

Guy

Anyway, I told that currently "scm zimport" only imports to zOSsrc. Probably, CM administator needs to checkin and deliver to .zOSbin (i.e. zOS binary folder). If it makes sense where "scm zimport" imports files depending on dataset (source or load module), I can create Enhancement request record. Please let me know.

Thanks for your reply !

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jan 20 '11, 9:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In respond to Guy's inquiry, (please allow me append this, Amano san)
>What binaries are you trying to bring in? ...
jar, war and/or ear files are in mind. Are these types of file should not be stored into RTC repository? Sorry for this basic design questio, but this is a key to our use of repository.

These files can certainly be stored in the repository. Although a zComponent project could be used to house these files, we created this project type primarily to house source for legacy languages such as COBOL and PLI.

It sounds like you have web or java code that is probably running in USS ( or perhaps zLinux). Although you could store those binaries in a z project I think it would probably be a better idea to house them in a java or a web project instead. You probably have source that goes with these binaries and using these other project types would give you a more natural place to put the corresponding source as well.

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Jan 20 '11, 10:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I should have been a little more clear as I sort of contradict myself regarding the storing of binaries.

Storing wars, jars in the scm is not an issue. What we are still thinking about is how feasible it is to store the executable binaries of enterprise customers large and numerous legacy code such as COBOL and PLI programs. These files can be extremely large and if a customer wants to store the executable built for each version of these programs then we are concerned about the storage size implications of this.
We have started to think into this and look at ways to realistically support storing these binary executables... perhaps only storing the more recent version and have no binary history for example..... but we feel a lot more thought needs to go into this before we add this option into our dependency based build functionality we released i the v3.0 product.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

permanent link
Naoto Miura (4685) | answered Jan 21 '11, 2:04 a.m.
I should have been a little more clear as I sort of contradict myself regarding the storing of binaries.

Storing wars, jars in the scm is not an issue. What we are still thinking about is how feasible it is to store the executable binaries of enterprise customers large and numerous legacy code such as COBOL and PLI programs. These files can be extremely large and if a customer wants to store the executable built for each version of these programs then we are concerned about the storage size implications of this.
We have started to think into this and look at ways to realistically support storing these binary executables... perhaps only storing the more recent version and have no binary history for example..... but we feel a lot more thought needs to go into this before we add this option into our dependency based build functionality we released i the v3.0 product.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

Will you permit me to apend question on this topic? I'm colleague of hizakozou. I found that there is a Folder "zBinFolder" when I make a zComponent. When I create Zcomponent, I was able to select zBinFolder under zOSBin folder. But his zBinFolder seems not to be combined to Dataset definition.(I was not able to select dataset definition)
What for did this zBinFolder created ?
I'd like to know how to use this folder.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.