It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Possible to have different priority/sev values per WI type?

Dan Rivett (1211115) | asked Jan 06 '11, 6:15 a.m.
Hi I've seen it's now possible to have a custom attribute's enumeration values chagne depending on another attribute's enumeration choice (http://jazz.net/library/article/537) but something that I would find very much more useful would be to have different priority values for different work item types.

For example:

For a task we could have: Urgent, High, Medium, Low
For a defect we could have: Certain APAR, Likely APAR, Possible APAR, Unlikely APAR
For an enhancement we could have: Every User, Most Users, Some Users, Few Users

etc etc

Is this possible now? I don't believe it is, but is something that we would very much use and in fact it has caused us problems already not being able to do this since we changed our severity/priority fields to reflect liklihood of a customer hitting the problem and then realised all work items were affected where it didn't make sense - like stories, tasks etc. We only wanted it for defects.

Many thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Jared Russell (1.3k12019) | answered Jan 07 '11, 10:24 a.m.
AFAIK you can't change enumeration values based on the work item type.

Assuming you can't, what I'd do here is create an enumeration for each of the work items, and add each enumeration as an attribute of the corresponding work item. You can then modify the editor presentation for each of the work items to hide the built-in priority enumeration, and replace it with your custom one.

Hi I've seen it's now possible to have a custom attribute's enumeration values chagne depending on another attribute's enumeration choice (http://jazz.net/library/article/537) but something that I would find very much more useful would be to have different priority values for different work item types.

For example:

For a task we could have: Urgent, High, Medium, Low
For a defect we could have: Certain APAR, Likely APAR, Possible APAR, Unlikely APAR
For an enhancement we could have: Every User, Most Users, Some Users, Few Users

etc etc

Is this possible now? I don't believe it is, but is something that we would very much use and in fact it has caused us problems already not being able to do this since we changed our severity/priority fields to reflect liklihood of a customer hitting the problem and then realised all work items were affected where it didn't make sense - like stories, tasks etc. We only wanted it for defects.

Many thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.