It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Store multiple FTP credentials in environment vars

ep zee (9695) | asked Dec 22 '10, 8:29 a.m.
In my current project we have to do 400 put operations (FTP) each day. Currently we have a script that reads server, user and password information from a text file. Then we have another txt file that contains the files we want to move and the server we want to put them (could be a different server for each file).

What I want to do is replace that script with a BuildForge project. I can't find a way of loading all the FTP login credentials into an environment and then use the appropiate one in the "put" step.

Let's say I have ServerA and ServerB login credentials, how can I use ServerA info if the current file is going there?

Thanks!

3 answers

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Dec 23 '10, 10:48 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In my current project we have to do 400 put operations (FTP) each day. Currently we have a script that reads server, user and password information from a text file. Then we have another txt file that contains the files we want to move and the server we want to put them (could be a different server for each file).

What I want to do is replace that script with a BuildForge project. I can't find a way of loading all the FTP login credentials into an environment and then use the appropiate one in the "put" step.

Let's say I have ServerA and ServerB login credentials, how can I use ServerA info if the current file is going there?

Thanks!

the best solution for this is a .netrc file on the ftp client system.
http://www.manpages.info/sunos/netrc.4.html

you could store all the credentials in the file, or have the step create one on the fly from the env group where you store them.

permanent link
ep zee (9695) | answered Dec 23 '10, 11:04 a.m.

you could store all the credentials in the file, or have the step create one on the fly from the env group where you store them.

I'll probably create the file on the fly, any idea how to iterate over all environment variables? What would be the best way of storing 30 login credentials (server-user-password) on an environment?

Thank you!

permanent link
Robert haig (1.0k16) | answered Dec 23 '10, 11:55 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'll probably create the file on the fly, any idea how to iterate over all environment variables? What would be the best way of storing 30 login credentials (server-user-password) on an environment?

Thank you!
as for the best way to store the credentials, I'd store the whole .netrc line in the env var. That simplifies storage as well as extraction.

I'd create them with similar names, something like using a common prefix of FTPAUTH_ and using a shell script to access then in the environment. Something like:
set | grep FTPAUTH_|cut -f2 -d= > $HOME/.netrc

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.