It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Threads and RTC

Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | asked Dec 12 '10, 9:38 a.m.
Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone has modified the threads value to server.xml in your environment.

We often face "Out of memory" issue in the server. When we have this problem, RTC login screen will not come up but the Jazz process will be still running in the server. The only solution to bring up RTC would be to restart the RTC service in the server.

We have allocated 4GB for java in startup.sh for RTC proess and have no other application other than RTC in the server

It is obvious that "Out of memory" could be due to various other reasons as well, however, I'm trying to look into threads value also as one option to check

Has anyone modified the maxthreads value in the server.xml file?

(Referring to this line in server.xml)
maxThreads="xx" minSpareThreads="xx" maxSpareThreads="xx"

I have a doubt if the problem might be due to too many processes and threads and that the current thread configuration would be a problem to support.

Any guidelines to be followed prior to changing the threads value?

Can you share your experience if you have faced a similar issue in your environment?

Server: Linux
RTC Version: RTC 2.0.0.2 -iFix04

Regards,
Pavithra

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Dec 12 '10, 5:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone has modified the threads value to server.xml in your environment.

We often face "Out of memory" issue in the server. When we have this problem, RTC login screen will not come up but the Jazz process will be still running in the server. The only solution to bring up RTC would be to restart the RTC service in the server.

We have allocated 4GB for java in startup.sh for RTC proess and have no other application other than RTC in the server

It is obvious that "Out of memory" could be due to various other reasons as well, however, I'm trying to look into threads value also as one option to check

Has anyone modified the maxthreads value in the server.xml file?

(Referring to this line in server.xml)
maxThreads="xx" minSpareThreads="xx" maxSpareThreads="xx"

I have a doubt if the problem might be due to too many processes and threads and that the current thread configuration would be a problem to support.

Any guidelines to be followed prior to changing the threads value?

Can you share your experience if you have faced a similar issue in your environment?

Server: Linux
RTC Version: RTC 2.0.0.2 -iFix04

Regards,
Pavithra

Hi

You should definitely check your threads settings - there is useful guidance in the Server Tuning guide here:

http://jazz.net/library/article/204

and search for Threads.

Your symptoms of "Out of memory" and no RTC login screen also sound similar to a problem I have seen. This is currently being investigated by Rational tech support. I recommend you raise a PMR with tech support too.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Pavithra Kasturirangan (42955956) | answered Dec 13 '10, 2:12 a.m.
Thanks, Anthony. I have raised a PMR in IBM.
In the meanwhile, looking into other options as well.

I had a look at the page that you have recommended, But would require some guidance on how to change the threads value.

When this problem occurs, we lose the license information also, it drops down to zero as RTC process fails.

Is there any other way to find out the actual number of users logged in to RTC? The reports page does not show the number of users when the process crashes.I can derive at a number based on the last report data. Still thats not the latest one.

Also, Is there any guideline before changing the threads value.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Dec 13 '10, 5:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks, Anthony. I have raised a PMR in IBM.
In the meanwhile, looking into other options as well.

I had a look at the page that you have recommended, But would require some guidance on how to change the threads value.

When this problem occurs, we lose the license information also, it drops down to zero as RTC process fails.

Is there any other way to find out the actual number of users logged in to RTC? The reports page does not show the number of users when the process crashes.I can derive at a number based on the last report data. Still thats not the latest one.

Also, Is there any guideline before changing the threads value.

The number of client licenses you have is a good starting point for these settings. If maxclients is the same as the number of floating licenses you have - then you have more threads than you should ever need. A better way is to look at the peak load (number of users) as per the reports - and add 10% to that.

If you want to send email or a pm via the forum with your IBM PMR number, I can look at the details and see if there is anything else I can suggest.

regards

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.