It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Permissions and their hierarchy

Roderick Thomas (661179) | asked Dec 08 '10, 1:50 p.m.
My user in RTC has the following repository permissions:
- JazzAdmin
- JazzUser
- JazzProjectAdmin

Within a project area, I'm a member of the team space with a role of "Manager" and also listed as an administrator of the Project. I'm also defined as an Administrator of the Team Area.

From my perspective, I'm every administrator allowable with respect to the repository and project settings.

In the Process Configuration (only at the Project level), my assigned role has every allowable action enabled. The same applies for the Team Configuration Permissions, again at the Project level. I have enabled every allowable permitted action in the Team level Process Customization.

With all these actions enabled and administrative roles set, I'm STILL getting Permission Denied errors for various actions, but most recently I'm seeing this with the "Create Build Engine" action.

Can someone guide me on why this may not be a permitted action, given my configuration?

Can anyone explain the permission hierarchy or at least point me to the documentation explaining it? Is there a way for a Project Administrator/Team Area Administrator to also have a member role and not have permissions (i.e., wouldn't an admin definition override any role permissions regardless)? What's the standard/guideline for such configurations?

One answer

permanent link
Jared Burns (4.5k29) | answered Dec 08 '10, 6:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My user in RTC has the following repository permissions:
- JazzAdmin
- JazzUser
- JazzProjectAdmin

Within a project area, I'm a member of the team space with a role of "Manager" and also listed as an administrator of the Project. I'm also defined as an Administrator of the Team Area.

From my perspective, I'm every administrator allowable with respect to the repository and project settings.

In the Process Configuration (only at the Project level), my assigned role has every allowable action enabled. The same applies for the Team Configuration Permissions, again at the Project level. I have enabled every allowable permitted action in the Team level Process Customization.

With all these actions enabled and administrative roles set, I'm STILL getting Permission Denied errors for various actions, but most recently I'm seeing this with the "Create Build Engine" action.

Can someone guide me on why this may not be a permitted action, given my configuration?

Can anyone explain the permission hierarchy or at least point me to the documentation explaining it? Is there a way for a Project Administrator/Team Area Administrator to also have a member role and not have permissions (i.e., wouldn't an admin definition override any role permissions regardless)? What's the standard/guideline for such configurations?

http://jazz.net/library/article/291

This article explains everything you could ever want to know about how permission lookup works in RTC.

- Jared

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.