It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Export/Import Work Items - maintain Parent/Child Relations

joe Clark (56118) | asked Dec 01 '10, 10:22 a.m.
Is there any guidance for importing work items and maintaining parent/child/related links between work items?

I have tried several imports with work items that have a parent and/or child relationship and the resultant links are not maintained.

My scenario:
1. Export work items with parent/child relationships to a csv file. Epics are parents to stories are parents to tasks. Some work items have only children, some have only parents, some have both.

2. Import the work items into the same project. After the import, some of the work items that should have both parent and child relationships only have one relationship type. Some have both. Some imported correctly, others did not.

I have tried importing all parents first, then children, and vice-versa. Neither approach seems to work.

Is there a guide that explains how to set this up?

One answer

permanent link
Fariz Saracevic (904613) | answered Feb 27 '13, 12:39 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 27 '13, 12:43 p.m.
I had to import new set of epics and stories myself and encountered this problem. This worked for me as I was importing brand new work items.

You will need to create two columns called, one is Id and second Parent. You will use Parent Id to link children work item with parent. You will need to add # as prefix. During import make sure to select create new Work Item. Id will not be used to create work item Id. It is used only for creating relationship between parent and child in this case.

Comments
joe Clark commented Feb 27 '13, 2:04 p.m.

I believe this is what I did, but as this was over two years ago, I can't remember for sure.  I have no idea how this currently works, but at the time, the results were unpredictable.  Some links would be established.  Others would not.  I had tried many different scenarios, but I was never able to figure out what caused it to work and what didn't.  Sometimes an import would work perfectly.  Then the same import would only partially work the next time I tried it.  It may be fixed in the latest release...

Fariz Saracevic commented Feb 27 '13, 3:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I used 4.0.1 for import and it worked beautifully. It did take me a while to dig out this information as few other forum posts did not provide solution. 

Also, if you want to use Planned for and set it to existing iteration/sprint, you will need to use internal value. During sample export add Planned for attribute and set instead label as value set it to the internal value).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.