It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change permission to allow write log files in JazzInstallDir

Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | asked Nov 26 '10, 6:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The RTC 3.0 installation guide blithely says:

When running the Jazz Team Server, there are logs and other files (such as tomcat.users if used) that can be modified and written in the Jazz installation directory. For all users to be able to write to the installation directory, you must manually grant write permissions to the JazzInstallDir.

but doesn't say how to do this.

Presumably chmod is the command to use, but it has an alarming range of possibilities, and presumably most would be wrong. Any suggestions?

Do I just do some chmod command on the /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer directory?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 26 '10, 12:46 p.m.
Hi Ian,

my assumption is that something whent wrong with the install if you ran Installation manager, or you try to start the server with another user account you installed, or you did not install as a user with the right permissions.

I have installed on Linux as root and never seen that message.

Ralph

The RTC 3.0 installation guide blithely says:

When running the Jazz Team Server, there are logs and other files (such as tomcat.users if used) that can be modified and written in the Jazz installation directory. For all users to be able to write to the installation directory, you must manually grant write permissions to the JazzInstallDir.

but doesn't say how to do this.

Presumably chmod is the command to use, but it has an alarming range of possibilities, and presumably most would be wrong. Any suggestions?

Do I just do some chmod command on the /opt/IBM/JazzTeamServer directory?

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered Dec 03 '10, 9:43 a.m.
The quote is in the help when I say I am installing on linux for evaluation with Derby, all the defaults.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 03 '10, 10:01 a.m.
Ian,

chmod would be the way to grant the permission. It does not say how because it depends. My suggestion is to install as root and start the server as root.

If you start the sever as a different user, you would have to chmod so that the user has permissions. You could potentially do that using a group.

Ralph

The quote is in the help when I say I am installing on linux for evaluation with Derby, all the defaults.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.