It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Birt does not return all STATES from the STATE dataset

Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | asked Nov 25 '10, 6:54 a.m.
Hi All,

I just ran into a problem that I can not figure out the source of.

I have a number of Project areas resulting in the total number of states in the STATES dataset (WORKITEMS snapshot) to be more than 1000.

Now for some reason the birt editor in eclipse (mine is from RSA4WS 7.5.4) only returns the first 1000 results - despite that I have changed the number of results to more than 2000. This being changed both in the preferences(2 places) and on the dataset it self. And I also tried updating snapshots, restarting eclipse, restarting RTC server etc.

What really puzzles me is that after I ran a report (just showing all states) inside RTC and not from birt both RTC report and birt preview returned all my results.

Is there a problem somehow with the jazz data source or some preference that is not refreshed or some data being cashed ?

5 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Nov 25 '10, 11:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Jazz Data Source hard codes the limit to avoid out of memory issues. The BIRT designer should only be used for designing the reports. To test your final reports, you will need to deploy those to the server.

Rafik Jaouani
Jazz Reporting Team

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k34348) | answered Nov 26 '10, 4:21 a.m.
The Jazz Data Source hard codes the limit to avoid out of memory issues. The BIRT designer should only be used for designing the reports. To test your final reports, you will need to deploy those to the server.

Rafik Jaouani
Jazz Reporting Team

Hey Rafik, Thanks for your answer - well can you then explain me why all data shows up in birt after running a report in RTC ? it seems rather inconsistant. And I think it would be a good idea that you were somehow in control of this number. Cause obviousle you will think that something is wrong with your report design when you do not see the expected results.
BTW didn't you do the work_progress report ? I used that for inspiration - I think i found a small bug in it though.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Nov 26 '10, 9:10 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When the report gets rendered by RTC, the fetching of the data and the rendering happen in the server. So no network bandwidth is used.

When the rendering happens in the BIRT designer, data gets sent across the wire from the server to client. So I guess we are trying to save bandwidth.

But I agree that we should at least adhere to the data set setting size set in the BIRT UI. This is the second time we get a complaint about this, please feel free to file a enhancement request and we will consider it the next release.

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Nov 26 '10, 11:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Another reason is that during report design, BIRT sometimes tries to fetch the data without the user asking it to do so. E.g., in the data page of the chart editor. If the data set is still being modified and improved by the user, BIRT could cause the not yet finished data set to be fetched and a huge amount of data could be fetched; e.g., if the user forgot to create the data set parameters.

The BIRT report designer is meant to be used mainly for designing the reports and not for viewing them in a production environment.

permanent link
Jorge Iglesias (8176) | answered Feb 05 '13, 6:43 a.m.
Hi Rafik,

Is there any restriction on number of work-items shown in the BIRT report on RTC? is there any setting that could be responsible for it ?

We have 1004 work items, and BIRT custom query report shows nothing. Same BIRT custom report if result size is under 1000, works.

Any tip? idea? is it a bug? hardcode to 1000?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.