It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Creating a snapshot from a particular point in history.

d s (7173) | asked Nov 24 '10, 9:40 a.m.
In subversion I can make a branch or tag from any point in history.

In RTC it seems that I can only create a snapshot of the current state of the stream. I say this because :
- there is no 'show history' for streams ( only for components )
- if I do select 'show history' for a component in a stream then in the history view I have neither the option to create a new base line nor the option to create a new snapshot.

Is there a way to do this? I mean what do I do if I realize I should have created a snapshot of the stream prior to it getting into its current state?

6 answers

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Nov 24 '10, 10:19 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
What you can do is create a workpace from the stream and then make the state of each component match what you want by either replacing components with baselines or discarding change sets. You can then create a snapshot from the workspace (New/Snapshot). You can then promote the snapshot to the stream by showing the snapshots for the workspace (Show/Snapshots) and choosing Promote from the context menu of the snapshot.

permanent link
d s (7173) | answered Nov 24 '10, 10:55 a.m.
Thanks. However think I am doing something wrong because RTC isn't letting me do this.

My repository workspace is just has content from stream X.

This stream only has one component.

The last change made was I delivered changes from stream Y to stream X. To do this I used the steps described here : http://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=19104

Fwiw there were several conflicts.

The current state of my sandbox ( that's the term for what is on my drive yes? ) is there is a single out going change. RTC keeps adding a .project file however because we don't actually do development with Eclipse I have been avoiding checking it in.

Anyhoo, on the component in my repository workspace I have selected 'show history' and then in the history view I selected 'discard changes'. However when I do this I am confronted two dialogs.

The first says "You have unchecked-in changes that might be overwritten.."
. I select the 'discard' option in this dialog.

The second says
'Unable to discard this change set because doing so would create a gap or conflict. Try discarding related change sets together..
Reason:
Would create fork/conflict for '

Now the thing is the merge change was a change made by itself. So I have no idea what related change it is referring to. Also I have no idea what I should do with the UUID or what object that UUID pertains to.

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Nov 24 '10, 11:24 a.m.
Dan,

The first thing you should do is open a work item for the UUID in the error message. UUIDs should never appear in an error dialog.

W.r.t the reported gap, unfortunately, we don't provide anything that would help you find the related change sets. Here's one thing you could try:

1) Duplicate the workspace

2) Load the workspace into the pending changes view

3) Replace the component with a baseline that you know occurred before the snapshot point you want

4) Change the flow target of this workspace to the original. Any changes that were made after the baseline will appear as incoming changes

5) Accept the changes that you want in the snapshot.

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Nov 24 '10, 9:51 p.m.

The current state of my sandbox ( that's the term for what is on my drive yes? ) is there is a single out going change. RTC keeps adding a .project file however because we don't actually do development with Eclipse I have been avoiding checking it in.

To avoid this situation, you can actually right-click on the file and click "ignore". That way it will not bug you about future check-ins related to this file.

permanent link
d s (7173) | answered Nov 25 '10, 2:47 p.m.

To avoid this situation, you can actually right-click on the file and click "ignore". That way it will not bug you about future check-ins related to this file.

I am aware of the ignore feature. However I didn't want to add a .jazzignore file just so that I could ignore a .project file that I don't want.
Or in other words, it felt wrong to have the version control tool itself add a file ( .jazzignore ) so that it would know to ignore another file that it added of its own accord ( the .project ).

permanent link
d s (7173) | answered Nov 25 '10, 2:48 p.m.
Thanks. Tried the steps you provided and ran into the same problem. Have opened a defect.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.