It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Different administrative permissions on multiple timelines

Adam Holley (2132) | asked Nov 11 '10, 9:40 p.m.
Is it possible to allow a user to manage their own timeline? i.e. Can a user create, update, archive, or move iterations under a specific timeline without permission to change any other timeline? If so, do they simply edit the project configuration and it checks to see if they have permission only on that timeline? Or how is this controlled?

4 answers

permanent link
Thomas Yu (45183) | answered Nov 12 '10, 2:33 a.m.
Is it possible to allow a user to manage their own timeline? i.e. Can a user create, update, archive, or move iterations under a specific timeline without permission to change any other timeline? If so, do they simply edit the project configuration and it checks to see if they have permission only on that timeline? Or how is this controlled?

Yes, it is possible for you to configure different permissions against different timelines on the same roles.

You have all of your timelines appear in the Process Configuration page of the Project area editor. You can configure the permission against different timelines independently.

One thing to notice, for a given team, the default timeline for it is the Project timeline. So, the first step is to set the correct timeline for the team area and then configure the permission for this timeline.

permanent link
Thomas Yu (45183) | answered Nov 12 '10, 7:06 a.m.

Yes, it is possible for you to configure different permissions against different timelines on the same roles.

You have all of your timelines appear in the Process Configuration page of the Project area editor. You can configure the permission against different timelines independently.

One thing to notice, for a given team, the default timeline for it is the Project timeline. So, the first step is to set the correct timeline for the team area and then configure the permission for this timeline.

Sorry, I made a mistake here.. Please ignore the above reply. It should be not possible for you to configure timeline/iteration independently...

The only place for you to configure the permission of timeline/iteration is

Project Area Configuration/Permissions/Save Project Area/Modify a project area/Modify the iteration structure.

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Aug 17 '11, 1:35 p.m.
The only place for you to configure the permission of timeline/iteration is

Project Area Configuration/Permissions/Save Project Area/Modify a project area/Modify the iteration structure.

Really? I can't allow a project manager of a timeline to edit their own iterations without giving them permission to edit EVERY iteration? That's a pretty big flaw. Has someone added an enhancement for that already?

permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9809161143) | answered Aug 17 '11, 1:58 p.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.