It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Queries migration

Jan Šťastný (1212147) | asked Sep 24 '10, 9:20 p.m.
Hi,

similarly to my recent post about migration / batch creation of categories, I'm searching for a way to migrate WI queries.

Are there any possibilities? Or will the queries have to be created manually on the new server?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jan

5 answers

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24348) | answered Sep 27 '10, 7:59 a.m.
Hi,

similarly to my recent post about migration / batch creation of categories, I'm searching for a way to migrate WI queries.

Are there any possibilities? Or will the queries have to be created manually on the new server?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Jan

Queries are a part of your process template - you can create/reuse your current process template or you can copy the queries from the xml of the process tempalte(a bit more risky)

permanent link
Jan Šťastný (1212147) | answered Sep 27 '10, 8:53 a.m.
Hi,

I transfered the project template exactly the way you suggest (by exporting project template and creating the project area based on the project template).

The WI queries, though, were not a part of the project template. This is because they were not part of the project predefined templates configured in Project configuration -> Configuration Data -> Work Items (advanced) -> Predefined queries. They cannot be found in the Process Configuration Source.
These queries were created as regular user queries and then they were shared with all Team Area members.
Is it possible to transfer these somehow? (The only way I can think of myself now is to add the to the Predefined queries in the old project area and then locate them in the configuration XML and copy this piece of XML to the newly create project area...)

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24348) | answered Sep 27 '10, 8:58 a.m.
Hi,

I transfered the project template exactly the way you suggest (by exporting project template and creating the project area based on the project template).

The WI queries, though, were not a part of the project template. This is because they were not part of the project predefined templates configured in Project configuration -> Configuration Data -> Work Items (advanced) -> Predefined queries. They cannot be found in the Process Configuration Source.
These queries were created as regular user queries and then they were shared with all Team Area members.
Is it possible to transfer these somehow? (The only way I can think of myself now is to add the to the Predefined queries in the old project area and then locate them in the configuration XML and copy this piece of XML to the newly create project area...)

Hey,

To make them a part of the predefined ones - try to share them before creating your process template.

permanent link
Jan Šťastný (1212147) | answered Sep 27 '10, 8:59 a.m.
Yes, I they were shared before I created the process template.

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24348) | answered Oct 25 '10, 8:04 a.m.
Yes, I they were shared before I created the process template.

You also need to go into the process configuration and add the predefined queries to the process template before you create the new template - that should include them - sorry for the late answer - I have been quiet busy lately :-)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.