It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Resolving field values using RTC REST API.

Daniel Rippa (673) | asked Sep 24 '10, 3:15 p.m.
I'm using XML Data Mapping utility to access RTC data by running a stored query. But the XML returned gives back directly usable data only for some fields, like dates, titles or descriptions. For the rest of the data items, it gives back URLs that I have to consume again to fetch the actual data.
Since when creating a .xdc file you can only include static URLs I cannot use the URLs that come from the original XML request because they are only known at runtime.
Is there a way to use something like the Parameter Maps feature in Framework Manager to resolve these URLs when accessing data using XML Data Sources?
I'm interested in resolving values like enumeration literals, or more complex entities like calm:blocksTestExecutionRecord, etc.
This is perfectly doable for entities like rtc_cm:resolvedBy that return the id for the user, that I can join against the /users/ resource, so I'm hoping that it can be also doable for the other entities, but I'm not sure what approach should be followed.
Any ideas?

One answer

permanent link
Marc Nehme (276157) | answered Oct 27 '10, 5:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Dan,

I have integrated RTC with Insight via ODBC, directly to the RTC's DW repository. I was getting the literal values returned in my queries (in Data Manager) for my custom attributes which ofcourse is meaningless when trying to report. My workaround for this was creating an Excel spreadsheet with the actual value mappings to these literal values (ex: 1 -> USA, 2 -> Canada, etc). I then used this xls as a data source and loaded this into the Insight database. I then performed lookups to this xls to retrieve the actual, meaningful value from these enumeration literals.

This is the recommended workaround for the ODBC type connectivity RTC->Insight). I'm not sure how far you have gotten with utilizing RTC3.0's REST API via the XML Data Configuration tool. What URL did you specify for the WorkItem_Snapshot? I tried to tinker with that in the past, but did not get too far into it as I focused on the ODBC method in the interim until there was some clearer guidance.

-Marc

I'm using XML Data Mapping utility to access RTC data by running a stored query. But the XML returned gives back directly usable data only for some fields, like dates, titles or descriptions. For the rest of the data items, it gives back URLs that I have to consume again to fetch the actual data.
Since when creating a .xdc file you can only include static URLs I cannot use the URLs that come from the original XML request because they are only known at runtime.
Is there a way to use something like the Parameter Maps feature in Framework Manager to resolve these URLs when accessing data using XML Data Sources?
I'm interested in resolving values like enumeration literals, or more complex entities like calm:blocksTestExecutionRecord, etc.
This is perfectly doable for entities like rtc_cm:resolvedBy that return the id for the user, that I can join against the /users/ resource, so I'm hoping that it can be also doable for the other entities, but I'm not sure what approach should be followed.
Any ideas?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.