It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

WorkItem Update Notifications

Geoffrey Prest (312) | asked Sep 02 '10, 9:55 a.m.
Hi all,

This is my first post, but not my first visit. I'd like to start by thanking you all for the great resource you provide through this forum and the wiki. Both have been instrumental in getting me set up and operational with extending Team Concert. That being said, I've come across a situation where I find myself looking for a little advice.

I'm currently attempting to implement a notification mechanism that triggers on the update of specific work item types across all projects on the server. The options I'm exploring for this are a implementing a participant on the save operation, and Feed services.

I've built a solution by implementing IWorkItemPostSaveParticipant, but wonder about the danger of this inadvertenly causing a rollback of the save transaction. I really do not want this participant to disrupt the save operation in any way. I found documentation within the wiki that indicated this was a possiblity, but did not list specific causes. So my first question is: What are the specific circumstances (Exceptions thrown, etc.) by which a participant could cause a rollback?

I was also wondering if there was some way to extend the functionality surrounding IFeedService. What I had in mind would be to implement functionality that could intercept updates to the feed service, perform any actions required, and then allow the update to continue on to the feed as though nothing ever happened. Would this best be done using the feedRender extension point, or would you suggest something else?

Thanks in advance for your time and responses,
Geoffrey

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.