It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTCz V3 M7a - trying to execute the "scm zimport"

Donald Poulin (2249119107) | asked Aug 13 '10, 1:46 p.m.
I am working on creating a USS shell script to run zimport on a zOS host. I logged in to the zOS host and set my size at login to 2000000. I then went in to omvs and executed a script that invoked the "scm -n zimport" command. I keep getting an initialization error. What do I need to do to get it to work?

$ startzim.sh
JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate he
ap; 512M requested

If I just execute the scm command from a omvs prompt I get

$ /usr/lpp/jazz/v3.0/usr/lpp/jazz/v3.0/scmtools/eclipse/scm
**Out of memory, aborting**

*** panic: JVMST018: Cannot allocate memory for initializeMarkAndAllocBits(all
ocbits1)
CEE5207E The signal SIGABRT was received.
1 + Done(131) /usr/lpp/jazz/v3.0/usr/lpp/jazz/v3.0/scmtools/eclipse/scm
33555230 Abort /usr/lpp/jazz/v3.0/usr/lpp/jazz/v3.0/scmtools/eclipse/sc

2 answers

permanent link
Bruce Green (30124) | answered Aug 17 '10, 11:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am working on creating a USS shell script to run zimport on a zOS host. I logged in to the zOS host and set my size at login to 2000000. I then went in to omvs and executed a script that invoked the "scm -n zimport" command. I keep getting an initialization error. What do I need to do to get it to work?

$ startzim.sh
JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate he
ap; 512M requested

ocbits1)

The amount of memory available for you to run programs in the OMVS shell can also be limited by the size of your RACF OMVS ASSIZEMAX setting. If you have Rational Developer for System z installed on the host, they have a REXX exec which will give you an idea of what your settings are.

If you have RDz installed to /usr/lpp/rdz/bin, you can run ./ASsize.rex. I expect that your "current address space size limit" setting is something less that the 512MB that the scm executable is requesting and will need to be adjusted by your RACF administrator.

Thanks
Bruce Green

permanent link
Bruce Green (30124) | answered Aug 17 '10, 11:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

$ startzim.sh
ap; 512M requested

ocbits1)

The amount of memory available for you to run programs in the OMVS shell can also be limited by the size of your RACF OMVS ASSIZEMAX setting. If you have Rational Developer for System z installed on the host, they have a REXX exec which will give you an idea of what your settings are.

If you have RDz installed to /usr/lpp/rdz/bin, you can run ./ASsize.rex. I expect that your "current address space size limit" setting is something less that the 512MB that the scm executable is requesting and will need to be adjusted by your RACF administrator.

Thanks
Bruce GreenIf you don't have RDz, you could just check with your RACF administrator for the values of that setting for your userID and request an adjustment if it is too low.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.