It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Dot commands

sridevi yv (10632) | asked Aug 12 '10, 4:33 a.m.
hi,
i have to launch a project on the failure of a step of another project and after that the failed step has to be re-executed.. so i can set the project to be lauched in fail chain field and use .retry command in the last step of the called project.
but .retry command takes only script names as arguments..can i use project names or step names which have previously failed as arguments? wat can do abt this??

22 answers

permanent link
Leo Sager (312) | answered Aug 12 '10, 7:56 a.m.
hi,
i have to launch a project on the failure of a step of another project and after that the failed step has to be re-executed.. so i can set the project to be lauched in fail chain field and use .retry command in the last step of the called project.
but .retry command takes only script names as arguments..can i use project names or step names which have previously failed as arguments? wat can do abt this??

I think what you want to do on the last step of the called project is basically make the original project job run try again (the same as clicking Restart).

If there are ENV variables passed to the called job that indicate the original job name, you could write a API script that you'd execute that would restart the original job. I don't know if you get such a variable from a fail chain. If not, you'd have to find some way to apss it (a file or something).

permanent link
Richard Elberger (111) | answered Aug 12 '10, 9:32 a.m.
Leo, the 'passed in' variables should be realized in the chained job prefixed with BF_CALLER_. If they are not (in whatever spin that's being used) then it's a problem.

hi,

I think what you want to do on the last step of the called project is basically make the original project job run try again (the same as clicking Restart).

If there are ENV variables passed to the called job that indicate the original job name, you could write a API script that you'd execute that would restart the original job. I don't know if you get such a variable from a fail chain. If not, you'd have to find some way to apss it (a file or something).

permanent link
Johnson Joseph (811) | answered Aug 12 '10, 2:17 p.m.
Sridevi,
Can you tell me how to use the .load command ? I need to execute the XML file using .load commadn?

Thanks
Johnson
Chennai

permanent link
sridevi yv (10632) | answered Aug 17 '10, 2:31 a.m.
hi,
can u pls tell me more abt .retry command.. i don wanna write an api script and make it complicated when i can run use a simple .retry command..

permanent link
sridevi yv (10632) | answered Aug 17 '10, 5:07 a.m.
Sridevi,
Can you tell me how to use the .load command ? I need to execute the XML file using .load commadn?

Thanks
Johnson
Chennai

hi jjoseph,
this is the syntax of .load command
.load <path>
i.e , .load <project_name>/<build_tag>/<filename>
U should have exported a project previously to an xml file to use .load

permanent link
Johnson Joseph (811) | answered Aug 18 '10, 10:12 a.m.
Hi Sridevi,
Here is the info about the .retry command

.retry
.retry <count> <command>
The .retry command allows a command to be retried on failure. The .retry command takes a single
count argument that specifies the number of times to retry the command. The command to execute
is taken as the remainder of the arguments and thus the .retry command must be the final dot
command for a step. For example, the command
.retry 3 myscript.sh arg1 arg2 arg3
executes myscript.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 up to 3 times before failing the step. The first invocation of
the command that returns a successful status stops the retry process.

Sridevi,

Thanks
Johnson
Chennai

hi jjoseph,
.load <path>

permanent link
Johnson Joseph (811) | answered Aug 23 '10, 2:45 p.m.
Hi All,
Could some one help me for the .email command syntax?
I tried to add the .email on project step command .email jjoseph@outcome.com but I didnt get any email message? Could some one please help me on this

Thanks
Johnson
Hi Sridevi,
Here is the info about the .retry command

.retry
.retry <count> <command>
The .retry command allows a command to be retried on failure. The .retry command takes a single
count argument that specifies the number of times to retry the command. The command to execute
is taken as the remainder of the arguments and thus the .retry command must be the final dot
command for a step. For example, the command
.retry 3 myscript.sh arg1 arg2 arg3
executes myscript.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 up to 3 times before failing the step. The first invocation of
the command that returns a successful status stops the retry process.

Sridevi,

Thanks
Johnson
Chennai

hi jjoseph,
.load <path>

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Aug 23 '10, 5:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi All,
I tried to add the .email on project step command .email jjoseph@outcome.com but I didnt get any email message? Could some one please help me on this

Thanks
Johnson

Hi Johnson,

Are you still having this problem that you mentioned in another post?

Wed 18 Aug 2010 11:09:28 AM EDT: Mail: 5572: CRRBF1482I: Selected external user:
Wed 18 Aug 2010 11:09:28 AM EDT: Mail: 5572: CRRBF0780I: Generating email to using [] template via .
Wed 18 Aug 2010 11:09:28 AM EDT: Mail: 5572: CRRBF0998E: Attempt to send mail to using failed : no data in this part

If you're still having this problem, I've been able to recreate the "no data in this part" message when a custom template is created for the project/step, and the body of the custom template is left empty. When I entered some text in the body for the template, the email successfully arrived.

bju

permanent link
Johnson Joseph (811) | answered Aug 24 '10, 1:21 p.m.
Bju,
I am not sure how to add the body of the email using .email command.
Can you please explain me how ro do that like CC,subject and body of the email using .email command

Thanks for all your help

Thanks
Johnson

Hi All,

Thanks
Johnson

Hi Johnson,

Are you still having this problem that you mentioned in another post?

Wed 18 Aug 2010 11:09:28 AM EDT: Mail: 5572: CRRBF1482I: Selected external user:
Wed 18 Aug 2010 11:09:28 AM EDT: Mail: 5572: CRRBF0780I: Generating email to using [] template via .
Wed 18 Aug 2010 11:09:28 AM EDT: Mail: 5572: CRRBF0998E: Attempt to send mail to using failed : no data in this part

If you're still having this problem, I've been able to recreate the "no data in this part" message when a custom template is created for the project/step, and the body of the custom template is left empty. When I entered some text in the body for the template, the email successfully arrived.

bju

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Aug 24 '10, 1:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Bju,
I am not sure how to add the body of the email using .email command.
Can you please explain me how ro do that like CC,subject and body of the email using .email command

Thanks for all your help

Thanks
Johnson

Hi,

This may not be the problem I originally thought it was, but if you would like to create a custom email template you can try these steps.

1) Navigate to Projects -> Templates
2) Push 'Add Template' Button
3) For Type select 'Step .email Message' and select your project and step in the drop downs
4) Press the 'Save' button
5) In the upper frame after saving, select the newly created 'Step .email Message' template that corresponds to your project and step
6) Fill in your Description, Subject, From, and Body for the email
7) Press 'Save' button

bju

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.