It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC + RSA 8.0 beta2 does not fly

Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | asked Aug 09 '10, 4:25 a.m.
I'm struggeling to get my version control back. Currently the situation is like this:

Installation manager prevents me to install RTC client 2.0.0.2 to the RSA 8.0 beta2 package saying that the products are not compatible.
RTC 3.0 M7 client is not compatible with the RTC 2.0 server we have.

Is there is an RTC client build somewhere that works with an RTC 2.0 server and the RSA 8.0 beta?

I've cross posted this topic to the RSA 8 beta forum because I don't know where it belongs. Sorry.

Thanks,
Mr. Bleeding edge

19 answers

permanent link
Amirsam Khataei (256175) | answered Aug 09 '10, 3:00 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
make sure you are using RTC Clinet 2.0.0.2 ifix 3

1. Download Client for Eclipse 3.5.x (p2 Install):
1. In a Web browser, go to https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/2.0.0.2?p=allDownloads.
2. Under Express, download Client for Eclipse 3.5.x (p2 Install).
2. Extract the contents of the compressed file that you downloaded. For example, extract the contents to C:\RTC. Ensure that you preserve the directories of the extracted contents.
3. Start Rational Software Architect.
4. Click Help > Install New Software.
5. Under Available Software, click Add. The Add Repository dialog box opens.
6. In the Add Repository dialog box, next to the Name field, click Local and navigate to the rtc-p2-repository subdirectory of the directory where you previously extracted the compressed file, for example, C:\RTC\rtc-p2-repository; then click OK.
7. On the Available Software page:
1. In the Name section, select Rational Team Concert and, optionally, one or both NLS categories to install language packs.
2. In the Details section, select Group items by category and Contact all update sites.
3. Click Next.
8. On the Install Details page, click Next.
9. On the Review Licenses page, read the text of the license agreements. If you agree to the terms of all of the license agreements, select I accept the terms of the license agreements and then click Finish.
10. During the installation, a security warning dialog box opens because the Rational Team Concert Client bundles and features are not signed. Click OK to complete the installation.
11. When you are prompted to restart at the end of the installation, click Yes.
12. When the workbench restarts, you should see the Rational Team Concert Welcome page.

file:///C:/DOCUME~1/akhataei/LOCALS~1/Temp/install_rsa_80_beta.html

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Aug 10 '10, 3:17 a.m.
make sure you are using RTC Clinet 2.0.0.2 ifix 3
12. When the workbench restarts, you should see the Rational Team Concert Welcome page.

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I do see the welcome screen. So far so good. But the RTC client does not work. If I bring up the available views (Window-Show View- Other...) I do not see the "Jazz Source Control" group so there is no way to enable the "Pending Changes" view. There is some connection to the server though, i.e. the "Team Central" view is showing recent events.

The Jazz Adminitration perspective seems incomplete. If I switch to a brand new workspace (trying to outrule the possibility that the workspace is corrupt) I can't see any possibility to connect to a RTC repository.

Did you successfully follow your steps on RSA 8 beta2? If so, what can be the difference? I'm running on Windows 7 here. Please let me know if I can help with any debugging.

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Aug 10 '10, 5:16 a.m.
I might add that when checking the RSA installation the RTC addons ends up in

/plugins/plugins

and

/plugins/features

Is this as expected? I mean the additional nesting.

permanent link
Gary Craig (2155) | answered Aug 20 '10, 4:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I installed the RTC Client from the latest 3.0M7a milestone build into RSA 8.0 (GA). The install goes fine. Unfortunately, the client won't connect to my RTC 1.0.1 Server.

Is it a fair assumption that the current client build only supports RTC 2.x?
If so I guess RSA 8.0 will force me to upgrade our server environment. :lol:

Confirmation is much appreciated.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 20 '10, 5:45 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you say "the current client", do you mean 3.0M7a?
If so, that requires an 3.0 server ... a 3.0 client is not compatible
with a 2.x server.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 8/20/2010 5:08 PM, glcraig wrote:
I installed the RTC Client from the latest 3.0M7a milestone build into
RSA 8.0 (GA). The install goes fine. Unfortunately, the client
won't connect to my RTC 1.0.1 Server.

Is it a fair assumption that the current client build only supports
RTC 2.x?
If so I guess RSA 8.0 will force me to upgrade our server environment.
:lol:

Confirmation is much appreciated.

permanent link
Petter von Dolwitz (561812) | answered Aug 23 '10, 7:56 a.m.

I'll add a version of your question:

Is is a fair assumption that RSA 8.0 + RTC (regardless of client version) does not work at all for a RTC 2.x server?

I have not tried with 8.0 GA yet but with the two 8.0 betas.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Aug 23 '10, 3:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'll add a version of your question:

Is is a fair assumption that RSA 8.0 + RTC (regardless of client version) does not work at all for a RTC 2.x server?

I have not tried with 8.0 GA yet but with the two 8.0 betas.

Hi

I am about to grab the RSA 8.x GA release. I was hoping to use the p2 install method to get the RTC client working. Once we have the 2.x client installed, I am sure it will work with the RTC 2.x server.

Will report back on what happens....(this could be a while :-)

anthony

permanent link
Erik Jägervall (73710) | answered Aug 24 '10, 9:11 a.m.
I tried the p2 installation procedure above for RTC 2.0.0.2 ifix3 on both RSA 8.0 GA and Standard Eclipse Helios.

For RSA 8.0 GA most (all?) RTC menus/perspectives/Views were missing, for example "File->Accept Team Invitation..." was missing. With standard Helios they were there, even if I didn't test to actually connect to our RTC 2.0 server.

permanent link
Erik Schumann (611) | answered Aug 24 '10, 11:50 a.m.
I ran into the same problem. It seems, I could resolve the problem by runing RSA with Administrator privileges before performing th RTC p2 install within RSA. After that don't restart, just exit RSA and start manually again within the user context.

RSA 8.0, RTC 2.0.0.2 iFix3 on top of Windows 7

permanent link
Erik Jägervall (73710) | answered Aug 25 '10, 4:19 a.m.
IBM has added a Tech-Note:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21444449

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.