It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrate from Oracle to MYSQL

sriram thiruvenkatachari (8698) | asked Aug 06 '10, 1:35 p.m.
I would appreciate if anybody can list the steps to follow when migrating the Build Forge DB from Oracle to MySql. We plan to keep the same BF Console version (7.1.1.0), but just migrate the data. I can use BFEXPORT to import/export project. What process should I used to get the historical data into the new db ?

The install doc talks about migrating from BF7.0x to BF7.1.1 only.

Thanks

4 answers

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Aug 09 '10, 10:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would appreciate if anybody can list the steps to follow when migrating the Build Forge DB from Oracle to MySql. We plan to keep the same BF Console version (7.1.1.0), but just migrate the data. I can use BFEXPORT to import/export project. What process should I used to get the historical data into the new db ?

The install doc talks about migrating from BF7.0x to BF7.1.1 only.

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, Build Forge does not supply tools to migrate data from one DB to another. There might be tools on the market for this kind of data migration. Since there's no upgrade involved, I would think it's a matter of data movement (external to BF) and reconfiguration of DB type in Build Forge.

Regards,
Pete

permanent link
Heath Malmstrom (16) | answered Aug 09 '10, 12:01 p.m.
sriramthiru,

Pete is correct, there are no Build Forge specific tools to help you move from one database to another. The best you could do with only the tooling provided (without a large migration effort on your part), would be to export your projects as you have suggested and then keep your old console active (even without license you can still view build logs) for legacy build log browsing. In this way you would have all logs prior to your go live with the new build system at the old location. While this is inconvenient, it would be the simplest possible solution to your problem.

--Heath

permanent link
Richard Elberger (111) | answered Aug 09 '10, 12:28 p.m.
I have done the reverse of this successfully - MySQL to Oracle.

The bulk of the work was done using the tool (purchased) here http://www.convert-in.com/. However, there was some "fun" (manual) conversion work thanks to CLOB type in Oracle.

It wasn't an overnight thing- straight time it took about two weeks to design, automate, test, and rollover into production the conversion. However, all job data was left intact which was mandatory.

permanent link
sriram thiruvenkatachari (8698) | answered Aug 10 '10, 10:54 a.m.
Thanks everybody for the valuable insight. Much appreciated.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.