It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Revisit the 10 user limit for Derby

Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | asked Jul 26 '10, 4:36 p.m.
With the upcoming release of 3.0, is there an opportunity to revisit the 10 user limit for RTC on Derby and up it to 16 or 20? The value of Derby is the quick zip installation that is useful for collaborative persentations - demos, proof of technologies, training. The 10 user limit greatly restricts that scope of those events. There is also pain at some organizations about installation rights, which unzipping a server overcomes.

Or is there a way around the limit, official or unofficial?

Many thanks for the consideration.

2 answers

permanent link
Adrian Cho (8213322) | answered Aug 15 '10, 1:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Harry

We enforced the restriction because we didn't want people to experience poor performance by exercising Derby beyond its limits. I understand your requirement where for demo situations you don't expect much concurrency. Have you thought about using DB2 Express-C?

Adrian

permanent link
Harry Koehnemann (30125238) | answered Aug 15 '10, 12:08 p.m.
Thanks for the reply Adrian. The main issue is the installation pain, both in time and the need to involve the customer's IT dept. Unzipping a server that includes the Derby DB is extremely simple, but more importantly requires no administration rights on the installation machine. I can do it in a user's directory. It would help if Express would install from a zip. But I just downloaded and it looks like it installs with a normal Windows installer. In both cases we are stuck working with customer's IT depts to install, which dramatically slows our ability to work with them. Adrian, what were you thinking DB2 Express offered that the DB2 bundled with RTC didn't?

To mitigate the performance concerns, how about an "I understand performance past 10 for the Derby DB is poor" check box on the license page to up the user licenses from 10 to 20 when Derby is the backing DB?

Also, I would expect these larger Derby servers would not be production and therefore have temporary licenses. How about allowing more users only for temporary servers? Not sure if that helps the decision process.

Thanks again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.