It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Starting RTC Express C Problems on Win 2003

Francis Kemp (7212944) | asked Jul 22 '10, 4:28 p.m.
Just downloaded RTC Express to set up a jazz server for evaluation. Attempting to run it on essentially a new Win 2003 server.

Only problem is - the Tomcat server won't start. The Tomcat window flashes onto the screen, then disappears. Nothing appears in the server or Tomcat logs or in the Tomcat terminal window. Checked the ports and there are no other web servers running. No firewall is running either. THere are no other applications running. I recently uninstalled ClearCase and ClearQuest from this machine.

I tried installing to another server and it works fine - so the downloaded kit appears to be OK.

I suspect this is some Win 2003 security or service setting that need to be tweaked. Any ideas?

Thanks.

One answer

permanent link
Francis Kemp (7212944) | answered Jul 23 '10, 2:54 p.m.
OK - figured it out.

Installed Tomcat 6.0.18 on the server and it started fine so nothing was blocking ports - the problem was in the environment somewhere.

Then changed 'echo off' to 'echo on' in server.startup.bat and startup.bat (in tomcat\bin) to get the command that actually started Tomcat.

Added a /B after 'start' in that command so the Tomcat window doesn't pop up and got an error something like: Can't find java class: Settings\Temp\1

In the command, the switch -Dcom.ibm.team.repository.tempdir was being set to a value that had a space in it - the part after the space was 'Settings\Temp\1'.

Turned off the local environment variables for TEMP and now it uses the System value of C:\Windows\Temp.

The Jazz server starts fine now; the moral of the story - no spaces in your TEMP environment variable!!!

Just downloaded RTC Express to set up a jazz server for evaluation. Attempting to run it on essentially a new Win 2003 server.

Only problem is - the Tomcat server won't start. The Tomcat window flashes onto the screen, then disappears. Nothing appears in the server or Tomcat logs or in the Tomcat terminal window. Checked the ports and there are no other web servers running. No firewall is running either. THere are no other applications running. I recently uninstalled ClearCase and ClearQuest from this machine.

I tried installing to another server and it works fine - so the downloaded kit appears to be OK.

I suspect this is some Win 2003 security or service setting that need to be tweaked. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.