It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build engine can' load component with files at root level

Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | asked Jul 19 '10, 2:32 p.m.
We migrated some base CC branches over to RTC using CC cnnector's syc. stream import and checked that all files and folders are migrated, including a few build scripts located at the root level of the CC VOB, which are now loated at the root level of the generated component.

We noticed that when developers tried to load the component to their local workspace, they have to make sure to select the component folder to get all files and folders loaded, otherwise, the files at component root level won't be able to loaded even though all folders are loaded.

But when they start to use the RTC build engine to run the builds,they all failed because the missing files located at the component root level and can't be loaded by the build engine, which seems to be able to only get all folders and their contains at the component root level.

We tried to load the new imported component at the component folder level and select to create new Eclise .projec file for it, checkin nd deliver the change but th build still faied.

What is the default load option the build engine uses? We want to be able to change it as when we do in loading a component into any othr workspace

5 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 19 '10, 4:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There are several enhancement requests for this (e.g. 44004, 85020,
88677), but to my knowledge, the only way to do this currently is to
have the rtc build explicitly use the rtc command line to load the files
(i.e. there is no "declarative" way to get this done by a build).

Perhaps someone on the SCM team knows an easier way to make this happen?

Cheers,
Geoff

On 7/19/2010 2:37 PM, ghu wrote:
We migrated some base CC branches over to RTC using CC cnnector's syc.
stream import and checked that all files and folders are migrated,
including a few build scripts located at the root level of the CC
VOB, which are now loated at the root level of the generated
component.

We noticed that when developers tried to load the component to their
local workspace, they have to make sure to select the component
folder to get all files and folders loaded, otherwise, the files at
component root level won't be able to loaded even though all folders
are loaded.

But when they start to use the RTC build engine to run the builds,they
all failed because the missing files located at the component root
level and can't be loaded by the build engine, which seems to be able
to only get all folders and their contains at the component root
level.

We tried to load the new imported component at the component folder
level and select to create new Eclise .projec file for it, checkin nd
deliver the change but th build still faied.

What is the default load option the build engine uses? We want to be
able to change it as when we do in loading a component into any othr
workspace

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | answered Jul 19 '10, 4:56 p.m.
I got a respone from h work item I raised about this issue:

added: This was fixed in 2.0.0.2 iFix 3. See item 113853 and item 102186 comment 9 for a workaround.

And the workaround is:
using the 2.0.0.2 build system is to specify (in the build definition editor's SCM page) a load rules file for the component with:
RootFolderName=/

But I am not sure wher this file is to be stored. Seems tat we need to add it to SCM and it can't in the root level.

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | answered Jul 20 '10, 7:29 a.m.
Our developers tried the workaround and can't get it work:

I tried on is_8_5_tier1 and the test failed. I delivered the change of adding loadRule.properties into the repository workspace under third_party_tools folder.

In build config, we can only get loading rule file from the source controlled repository workspace. Here comes the chicken and egg issue: to have the loading we need to have code downloaded first; to download the code, we have to have the loading rule.

I don't think this way is right.

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | answered Jul 22 '10, 11:55 a.m.
We did verify that after upgrading to iFix03 Build System Toolkit, the build engin is able to pickup the root level files and folder to run the build successfully.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jul 27 '10, 12:21 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Glad to hear it's working for you now with iFix 3. For the earlier workaround, the component load rules file needs to be specified in the build definition (in the load rules field of the Jazz Source Control page). JBE reads this file before doing the main load, so there's no chicken and egg problem.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.