It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

emails - javax.mail.MessagingException: 501 5.0.0 HELO requi

jeff oestreich (1061148) | asked Apr 20 '09, 10:40 a.m.
See the last post in this thread for the changing characteristics/symptoms/description of our email issue...
- - - - -
Our approval emails are suddenly being generated with URL link pointing to localhost:

Web UI: https://localhost:9443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/233

In the past they've always had the real server name in the link. We did apply OS maintenance last week, reboot the server and restart our RTC instance, but no change to jazz config (to my knowledge).

Any ideas?

- - - - - - - -
Including some version info...

Server: Rational Jazz Team Server
Version: 1.0.1
Edition: Standard
Build ID: I20081024-1335

6 answers

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Apr 20 '09, 4:37 p.m.
jeffo wrote:
Including some version info...

Server: Rational Jazz Team Server
Version: 1.0.1
Edition: Standard
Build ID: I20081024-1335

Maybe the publicUri property is no longer set on the server? This is
being used as value for the approval mails.

--
Benjamin Pasero
Work Item & UI Commons Team

permanent link
jeff oestreich (1061148) | answered Apr 20 '09, 10:23 p.m.

I'm not familiar with that property Benjamin. Where would I find whether or not it was set? Jazz config? Tomcat? OS?

Thanks!

permanent link
Jakub Jurkiewicz (59632) | answered Apr 21 '09, 9:27 a.m.

I'm not familiar with that property Benjamin. Where would I find whether or not it was set? Jazz config? Tomcat? OS?

Thanks!

Go to the admin web ui of your server, then choose Advanced Properties from the left pane and look for the Host name property under com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.internal.ServletConfigurationService .

kind regards,
Jakub

permanent link
jeff oestreich (1061148) | answered Apr 21 '09, 10:20 a.m.

Go to the admin web ui of your server, then choose Advanced Properties from the left pane and look for the Host name property under com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.internal.ServletConfigurationService .

kind regards,
Jakub

Thanks Jakub,
That property was unset, and had not been set in any of the collection of archived teamserver.properties files on my system. I have set it to the server hostname and will monitor approval emails and report back.

permanent link
jeff oestreich (1061148) | answered Apr 23 '09, 2:57 p.m.
Poking around has made things worse, but getting a little farther with diags... Since adding the Host Name property to com.ibm.team.repository.servlet.internal.ServletConfigurationService, no mail at all is leaving the server. Regardless of the setting or absence of the HostName property, I appear to be getting this exception in my catalina.out and jazz.log files:

- - - - - - -
14:10:34,763 ERROR com.ibm.team.repository - 501 5.0.0 HELO requires domain address

javax.mail.MessagingException: 501 5.0.0 HELO requires domain address

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.issueCommand(SMTPTransport.java:1250)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.helo(SMTPTransport.java:774)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SMTPTransport.java:316)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:233)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:134)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:86)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.connect(SMTPTransport.java:144)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.MailerService.getConnectedTransport(MailerService.java:464)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.MailerService.sendMessage(MailerService.java:417)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.MailerService.sendMail(MailerService.java:391)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.MailerService.sendMail(MailerService.java:330)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:79)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:618)
at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:375)
at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:55)
at $Proxy173.sendMail(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.service.internal.save.notify.ChangeEventMailNotifier.sendIndivdualMails(ChangeEventMailNotifier.java:365)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.service.internal.save.notify.ChangeEventMailNotifier.processOneChange(ChangeEventMailNotifier.java:321)
at com.ibm.team.workitem.service.internal.save.notify.ChangeEventMailNotifier.runTask(ChangeEventMailNotifier.java:171)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.async.AbstractAutoScheduledTask.executeTask(AbstractAutoScheduledTask.java:88)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor141.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:618)
at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:375)
at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:55)
at $Proxy137.executeTask(Unknown Source)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.scheduler.AsynchronousTaskRunner.runTask(AsynchronousTaskRunner.java:118)
at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.scheduler.AsynchronousTaskRunner.run(AsynchronousTaskRunner.java:92)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:810)

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Guessing that the OS upgrade (to sles 10.2) may have introduced some change to OS-level hostname handling, interface, or mod_proxy.

Found a hit for Jira with this error that suggested adding -Dmail.smtp.localhost=computer_name to JAVA_OPTS in the catalina startup script. Sounds like its on the right track - will wait for some kind of feedback before trying it.

Still looking for help.

permanent link
jeff oestreich (1061148) | answered Apr 24 '09, 3:43 p.m.
Problem appears to be resolved by adding
-Dmail.smtp.localhost=computer_name
to JAVA_OPTS in the server.startup script

Still not sure what change in the environment caused the issue to surface, but we are now sending emails again.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.