It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Trying to map Test Requirements to Test Script Steps

Richard Veitch (161) | asked Jul 07 '10, 9:36 a.m.
In RQM it seems that it is only possible to map requirements to Test Cases.

This does not allow for a requirement to be mapped to a specifc Step in a Test Script. e.g. a set of requirements state that (a) when you press the "On" button, the "On" LED is illuminated and the "standby LED" is extinguished and (b) when the cooling fan has run up to speed the "Fan OK" LED is illuminated.

A simple case, but in RQM both the requirements can only be mapped to the Test Case, not to the individual test stages. Thus if the "Fan OK" LED does not illuminate, then although only the second step of the script has actually failed, both requirements are failed because of the level of granularity allowed by the Test Case.

Could RQM requirements be mapped to Test Steps in the Test Script somehow?

8 answers

permanent link
Maneesh Mehra (20111) | answered Jul 07 '10, 10:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In current implementation of RQM it is not possible to map requirements to steps within a test script or even to a whole test script for that matter; requirements can be mapped to test cases only. To address the need to be able to identify a test case individually for each failing requirement, you could create two separate test cases and associate each with its own requirement. The test cases could share the same test script or have separate scripts for each (the only downside I can think of with sharing scripts is that there may be duplication of efforts in testing both requirements)

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8279269) | answered Jul 07 '10, 10:43 a.m.
Sad this seems to be the only work around,

That took us from 207 test cases, to 3212 test cases for a test plan. :-(

SFII

In current implementation of RQM it is not possible to map requirements to steps within a test script or even to a whole test script for that matter; requirements can be mapped to test cases only. To address the need to be able to identify a test case individually for each failing requirement, you could create two separate test cases and associate each with its own requirement. The test cases could share the same test script or have separate scripts for each (the only downside I can think of with sharing scripts is that there may be duplication of efforts in testing both requirements)

permanent link
Richard Veitch (161) | answered Jul 08 '10, 5:42 a.m.

SFII

That is my case exactly, if requirements could be mapped to a lower level of granularity (i.e. Steps within a Test Script) then better use of the Test Plan > Test Case > Test Script structure could be achieved and better traceability of requirements could be defined.

Maybe this needs to be taken up by the developers? :idea:

Dick

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8279269) | answered Jul 08 '10, 8:51 a.m.
Create a enhancement, and post it here for others interested. I will tack on my comments...

SFII

SFII

That is my case exactly, if requirements could be mapped to a lower level of granularity (i.e. Steps within a Test Script) then better use of the Test Plan > Test Case > Test Script structure could be achieved and better traceability of requirements could be defined.

Maybe this needs to be taken up by the developers? :idea:

permanent link
Richard Veitch (161) | answered Jul 08 '10, 9:30 a.m.
Create a enhancement, and post it here for others interested. I will tack on my comments...

SFII

How do you create an enhancement? BTW I 'm a relative newbie to RQM, to the Jazz forum and IBM applications.

Dick

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8279269) | answered Jul 08 '10, 9:59 a.m.

SFII

How do you create an enhancement? BTW I 'm a relative newbie to RQM, to the Jazz forum and IBM applications.

Sorry, I am responding via mobile phone...

Anyway, at the top of jazz.net is Projects, select Quality Manager, and on the right side is a submit defect or enhancement.

permanent link
Richard Veitch (161) | answered Jul 08 '10, 10:35 a.m.
The enhancement is referenced as 35263.

All subscribers welcome.

Dick

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Feb 03 '14, 9:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Good news. This feature (the traceability from requirement to test script(s)) was added in RQM 4.0.
For reference, you could check this article .

Stéphane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.