It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test cases duplication and related test scripts

Agostino Colussi (367) | asked Jul 07 '10, 4:35 a.m.
Hi,
I am leveraging the test cases duplication feature and I identified (as documented) that the original related test script is NOT duplicated in the new test case but only referenced.
This behavior is not good for me, actually I am used to duplicate test cases to create test variations starting from the basic flow (first test case) so the variations should have also some changes in the test script starting from the original one.
Which is the best way to manage the described use case?
Actually (with RQM 2.0.1) isn't possible to duplicate the test script working in the test case panel but you have to go in the test script view panel.
Why do not add a button in test script panel opened from the test case to duplicate the showed (original) test script?

Thanks

3 answers

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Jul 07 '10, 11:07 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The behavior of duplicate is that if the duplicate is going to a new project area, then all related artifacts will be copied as well. If they are going to the same project area then only the "top level" artifact (i.e. Test Case) will be duplicated.
One idea: set up a "seed" project area used only by Test Managers / Admins. Establish your Test Case and Test Script template(s)/skeleton(s) there. Then duplicate to your production project area and all referenced scripts will be copied as well.
I think adding duplicate to more artifact views is reasonable. I'd recommend submitting an enhancement request via: http://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=jazz.viewPage&id=com.ibm.team.workitem

Regards,
John Nason
RQM Development

Hi,
I am leveraging the test cases duplication feature and I identified (as documented) that the original related test script is NOT duplicated in the new test case but only referenced.
This behavior is not good for me, actually I am used to duplicate test cases to create test variations starting from the basic flow (first test case) so the variations should have also some changes in the test script starting from the original one.
Actually (with RQM 2.0.1) isn't possible to duplicate the test script working in the test case panel but you have to go in the test script view panel.
Why do not add a button in test script panel opened from the test case to duplicate the showed (original) test script?

Thanks

permanent link
manoj samuel (2611) | answered Jul 20 '10, 3:08 a.m.
Hi, am not too sure if this is the right approach but what we tried to do for a reusability approach - create a test suite for set number of test cases and we created multiple test suites that has duplicates of the test cases and their scripts. All one would have to do is change the properties of each test suite to match their categories. It worked for us. Btw, this is only for same project plan and in the same project area scenario.

The behavior of duplicate is that if the duplicate is going to a new project area, then all related artifacts will be copied as well. If they are going to the same project area then only the "top level" artifact (i.e. Test Case) will be duplicated.
One idea: set up a "seed" project area used only by Test Managers / Admins. Establish your Test Case and Test Script template(s)/skeleton(s) there. Then duplicate to your production project area and all referenced scripts will be copied as well.
I think adding duplicate to more artifact views is reasonable. I'd recommend submitting an enhancement request via: http://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=jazz.viewPage&id=com.ibm.team.workitem

Regards,
John Nason
RQM Development

Hi,

Thanks

permanent link
Frank McGrath (242162) | answered Nov 11 '13, 12:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 As of 4.0.5, there is another way to accomplish this that may meet your needs.  It requires the use of Test Plans.  If you have a Test Plan and duplicate it within the project area, you will still find that all the original test cases are referenced, not copied.  

You can now go into the copy of the test plan, go to the test cases section, select some or all of the test cases, and use the menu pick "Copy and Replace Test Case".  For each selected test case, the case will be duplicated and the test plan will be updated to have a reference to the new test case.  In addition, each test script referenced by each of the copied test cases will also be copied, and the newly copied test cases will reference the newly copied test scripts.

Regards,
Frank McGrath
RQM Development

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.