It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz "Create a work item" permission

Case Taintor (1462116) | asked Jul 06 '10, 3:47 p.m.
retagged Sep 12 '13, 12:29 p.m. by Chris Goldthorpe (4287)
What is the point of this permission, if I have to give someone every other permission for them to do anything useful? I want someone to be able to create a work item but not be able to modify it once it's created. So, I gave them the create a work item permission. They then get this error:

Permission Denied. You don't have permission to perform the following actions: modify/com.ibm.team.rtc.attribute.impact Modify the work item's severity (modify/severity) Modify the work item's 'Filed Against' attribute (modify/category) Modify the work item's summary (modify/summary) Modify the work item's description (modify/description) action/com.ibm.team.workitem.defectWorkflow.action.confirm Add an attachment (modify/references/attachment/add) Modify the work item's 'Planned...

So, I gave them rights to modify everything, but, they still had the problem where they couldn't save the work item because they didn't have the right to modify the workflow to 'confirm'.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there no way to limit creating work items to not have to require modify permissions?

2 answers

permanent link
Stuart Cornell (1135) | answered Sep 12 '13, 5:11 a.m.
 Bump.. I'd also like to see an answer to this as I want to do the same thing.

permanent link
abhishek patti (9134) | answered Oct 11 '13, 5:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
For example : You want User A ( Role Test)  to create only defect type work item and not allowed to make any changes after creating the work item.

In order to achieve that

1) You need a new role ( Like Team Member , Scrum Master ) since it is associated with particular user / users only .
2) You need to understand that there is a Pre-condition in process behavior "Required Attributes " , so when your trying to deny permission for modifying work item type for this particular role make sure that you allow role to modify these required attributes , if not he/she wont be able to create the work item.
Problems with step 2
1)
User will be able to modify these attributes even after creating the work item.
Solution: In Operation Behavior -  Under Work items- Save Work Item (Server) operation . Specify the Required Attributes (Summary , Field Against ) for all other roles except the new role (For example test role). Make sure you do not specify any pre-condition for Everyone because it will override the individual pre- condition for each role.

Example - User with role test should be able only to create work item type defect but user is not allowed to modify the work item after creation .
1) Define new role
2) Navigate to Permissions under Team Configuration and make sure that there are no permitted actions for role:Everyone(default)
3) Select role test and permitted actions under Work Items should be
a) Save Work Item (server) - Create a work item - Create a work item of a specific type - Create a 'Defect' work item
b) Save Work Item (server) - Trigger a workflow action - Initialize (Defect Workflow)
c) Optional - If you specify Required Attributes precondition for defect work item type then permit following action
Save Work Item (server) - Modify the work item - Modify the work item's 'Field Against' attribute
, Modify the work item's summary

(By default field against & summary are required attributes in "Required Attributes " pre-condition)
4) Navigate to Team Configuration -   Operation Behavior - Operations- Work Items - Save Work Item (server)  and make sure your remove the pre-conditions for everyone and add to each individual role

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.