It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

problem with the Build Forge upgrade

PengCheng Zhang (11) | asked Jul 01 '10, 6:47 a.m.
Hi, I have a problem with the Build Forge upgrade.

Now we have installed the BF7.1.1, and we are trying to upgrade it to 7.1.1.4.
We have just downloaded the installation manager and installed it. And we add the BF7114 update repository into the IM. But after clicking on Update in IM, I found the Build Forge is not regarded as a installed Package Group. Any one know how to import the BF7.1.1 into the Installation Manager?

4 answers

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Jul 04 '10, 4:16 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, I have a problem with the Build Forge upgrade.

Now we have installed the BF7.1.1, and we are trying to upgrade it to 7.1.1.4.
We have just downloaded the installation manager and installed it. And we add the BF7114 update repository into the IM. But after clicking on Update in IM, I found the Build Forge is not regarded as a installed Package Group. Any one know how to import the BF7.1.1 into the Installation Manager?

Hi,

This issue gets more into the details of IBM Installation Manager. There is a developerWorks forum for Installing/Configuring/Administering Rational Products at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=324&start=0 that you might post a question in to see if they have a solution for importing an existing product into IM.

bju

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Jul 09 '10, 8:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is another option if you haven't been able to get your existing BF v7.1.1 to display in IM, but it is a more manual process. It would involve installing v7.1.1.4 as a fresh install, but during the installation process the database information would need to be the same database information as for your v7.1.1. At the question "Do you wish to populate this database at install time?", you would need to select "No". After the install has finished, you would then need to run bfschema -u to update your v7.1.1 database to the v7.1.1.4 level.

The one issue with this solution though is that if you have made many customizations to your original v7.1.1. install, such as enabling security features - you will have to remember how to recreate those same modifications for the new v7.1.1.4 install.

Before doing anything, I would highly recommend backing up your database and any supporting Build Forge files. If you have a similar set up in a test environment, it would be good to test your process before performing on your production system.

permanent link
Pushkar K (6) | answered Jul 19 '10, 4:48 p.m.
Hi,

I am trying to install Build Forge 7.1.1 on my machine. I clicked on 'launchPad.exe". Selected language as English.
After clicking on OK button, BF throws "java.lang.NullPointerException".

Then I tried clicking on "Install" button. Again same error is thrown "java.lang.NullPointerException".

Can some one please help me in solving this problem ?

Thanks and Regards,
Pushkar

permanent link
Brent Ulbricht (2.5k11) | answered Jul 19 '10, 6:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I am trying to install Build Forge 7.1.1 on my machine. I clicked on 'launchPad.exe". Selected language as English.
After clicking on OK button, BF throws "java.lang.NullPointerException".

Then I tried clicking on "Install" button. Again same error is thrown "java.lang.NullPointerException".

Can some one please help me in solving this problem ?

Thanks and Regards,
Pushkar

Hi Pushkar,

Some additional information will help in determining what the problem may be. Which platform (operating system & version number and architecture) are you working with? Could you copy and paste the exception stack trace?

bju

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.