It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Linking work items parent/child across projects

Case Taintor (1462116) | asked Jun 28 '10, 12:16 p.m.
We're in the process of buying Jazz and have hit this stumbling block with the Scrum Plan views. Here's the scenario

Project Areas:
Project Alpha (flagship project)
Project Services (group that provides some backend for all projects.)

Project Alpha's Release Plan:

Epic 1
Story 2 (3 story points)
Story 3 (20 story points)
Task 4 (12 hours)
Story 5 (13 story points) -- planned to be done by Project Services sprint "Service Sprint"
Task 6 (6 hours) -- also planned to be done by Project Services sprint "Service Sprint"

The problem we're having, is that we want to put Story 5 and Task 6 into the Project Services iteration, since they are the team/project that is going to be doing the work. It's possible to set up these links in Jazz (parent/child), however, the plans don't work as I would expect. Here are the problems:

1) In Project Alpha's Release Plan, the high level summation of the story points under the Epic only includes Story 2 and 3. So, if nothing is completed, it shows (0/23). I think it should show (0/36).
2) If you view the details for Epic 1, it shows the actual time left, but excludes the time that is being done in another projects' sprint. So, it shows (0/12h) where I think it should show (0/18h).
3) Even though I may have planned Story 5 and Task 6 in 'Service Sprint', these two work items don't show up in any plan ('Service Sprint' or its release plan). I'm assuming this is because their parent is in a different project.

I feel like it should be possible to fix this so that the summations work, and work items that are planned to be completed by other projects' teams show up, but, have a little tooltip saying "work being done in another iteration". Is it possible to fix this? How much work would it be?

Thanks for any help. I'm really trying to sell Jazz but am getting a lot of pushback due to this problem!

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 29 '10, 4:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

Case.

I and others have seen this behavior even in moving work items to a team in another timeline. Tracking cross project is just another step further. Please see https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=114135 and related work items. Feel free to subscribe to the ones you want to support and add your requirements.

Ralph

We're in the process of buying Jazz and have hit this stumbling block with the Scrum Plan views. Here's the scenario

Project Areas:
Project Alpha (flagship project)
Project Services (group that provides some backend for all projects.)

Project Alpha's Release Plan:

Epic 1
Story 2 (3 story points)
Story 3 (20 story points)
Task 4 (12 hours)
Story 5 (13 story points) -- planned to be done by Project Services sprint "Service Sprint"
Task 6 (6 hours) -- also planned to be done by Project Services sprint "Service Sprint"

The problem we're having, is that we want to put Story 5 and Task 6 into the Project Services iteration, since they are the team/project that is going to be doing the work. It's possible to set up these links in Jazz (parent/child), however, the plans don't work as I would expect. Here are the problems:

1) In Project Alpha's Release Plan, the high level summation of the story points under the Epic only includes Story 2 and 3. So, if nothing is completed, it shows (0/23). I think it should show (0/36).
2) If you view the details for Epic 1, it shows the actual time left, but excludes the time that is being done in another projects' sprint. So, it shows (0/12h) where I think it should show (0/18h).
3) Even though I may have planned Story 5 and Task 6 in 'Service Sprint', these two work items don't show up in any plan ('Service Sprint' or its release plan). I'm assuming this is because their parent is in a different project.

I feel like it should be possible to fix this so that the summations work, and work items that are planned to be completed by other projects' teams show up, but, have a little tooltip saying "work being done in another iteration". Is it possible to fix this? How much work would it be?

Thanks for any help. I'm really trying to sell Jazz but am getting a lot of pushback due to this problem!

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jun 29 '10, 9:28 a.m.
Thanks. Does anyone know if it's possible to change this behavior? It doesn't look like that work item is moving anywhere.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 29 '10, 10:00 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Case,

I don't think this can be changed. In addition looking at performance and scope of RTC planning features, which where not meant to do multi project planning, I am not sure if, when and what we can expect something.

Ralph
Thanks. Does anyone know if it's possible to change this behavior? It doesn't look like that work item is moving anywhere.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.