It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Understanding process templates and configurations

Victor Campbell (3502618) | asked Jun 22 '10, 11:54 a.m.
I'm trying to figure out the relationship between process templates and project configurations. I cannot delete a process template that has been used by a project, as I receive a message "Process template referenced by existing project area". Is it true that I can modify a template, but those changes aren't carried onto the projects that used the original template? And, is it true that I can modify a project's configuration but those modfications aren't carried back to the template? So if my understanding of those two statements is correct, what does it mean that a project "references" the template, if the template and project configuration no longer match.

3 answers

permanent link
Shivank Arya (19141) | answered Jun 23 '10, 1:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yes, the two statements are correct. When a project area is created from a particular process template, the configurations of the template are copied into project area. Configurations in project area and template can then be managed independently. A Project area *does not* refer to it's template at run time. The specifications are extracted from the template at the time of creation.

If you have a requirement where a project area should refer to it's template at run time and accept specifications from template at run time, have a look at Process Providers.

- Shivank
Jazz Development Team
ps: Jazz.net search seems to be down, could not find the Process Providers' related articles for you.

I'm trying to figure out the relationship between process templates and project configurations. I cannot delete a process template that has been used by a project, as I receive a message "Process template referenced by existing project area". Is it true that I can modify a template, but those changes aren't carried onto the projects that used the original template? And, is it true that I can modify a project's configuration but those modfications aren't carried back to the template? So if my understanding of those two statements is correct, what does it mean that a project "references" the template, if the template and project configuration no longer match.

permanent link
Case Taintor (1462116) | answered Jun 23 '10, 5:10 p.m.
I would love to see the documentation on Process Providers. I see nothing by that name.

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44351) | answered Jun 26 '10, 2:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is a new feature that will be in Jazz Foundation. It is currently being developed, and should be complete in the Jazz Foundation 3.0 M8 milestone. Since it is not yet complete, we do not have formal documentation on it. You can find out more about it from the work items for the work. The main work item is: https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/95929 . Child work items flush out the details.

Martha
Jazz Developer, Process Component

I would love to see the documentation on Process
Providers. I see nothing by that name.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.