It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Extended field search keyboard usability issues

Markus Nosse (15112828) | asked Jun 18 '10, 5:38 p.m.
When using the extended filter search, the right side of some text boxes have a green arrow pointing to the right. These boxes require the user to put the mouse pointer into the box and click a mouse button. When that's done, another box opens into which the user can type the search criteria (as well as select any other search options which require special formatting like date). Once that box is open, the user can TAB into the text field, enter the required data and his the Escape key to close the dialog/search box. The data is then copied into the original box (the one with the green arrow in it).

I've been unable to find a way to clear that data without using the mouse. Clearing previously entered text by causing the box to open, erasing the data by backspacing or deleting the data or by simply replacing it with a space and hitting the Escape key closes
the box but restores its original content. In order to make this work, one must use the mouse to navigate to the X in the upper right corner of the extended search box after erasing the data.

The net of this is that

1) one cannot simply use keyboard navigation to cause the extended filter/search box to open
2) one cannot simply use the keyboard to erase or remove a previous filter

Did I miss anything? Is there a quick way to fill in and cleare the search boxes using the keyboard? In general I think that the UI should be revised in order to make it easily usable by keyboard only.

Thanks,
Markus

2 answers

permanent link
paul chu (59411) | answered Jun 21 '10, 3:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am using 3.0 M6 and it is an accessibility issue that we can't open the table header filters using the keyboard. I submitted a defect 34482. If we use the mouse to open the row of filters, we can tab through the filters and hitting the space bar or the enter key to bring up the secondary pane for those complex filters. I am able to delete any text field in the pane and escape to close. The filter did get cleared. Is there a specific filter of specific table that the filter can't be cleared from using escape to close the secondary pane?

permanent link
Markus Nosse (15112828) | answered Sep 09 '10, 9:39 a.m.
I am using 3.0 M6 and it is an accessibility issue that we can't open the table header filters using the keyboard. I submitted a defect 34482. If we use the mouse to open the row of filters, we can tab through the filters and hitting the space bar or the enter key to bring up the secondary pane for those complex filters. I am able to delete any text field in the pane and escape to close. The filter did get cleared. Is there a specific filter of specific table that the filter can't be cleared from using escape to close the secondary pane?

With the verrsion of RQM that I'm using (2.0.1), tabbing to a field with the green rightward pointing arrow and hitting the
space bar or using the ENTER key does NOT open the extended data dialog. The only way I can get it to open it by clicking the mouse
in that box. Once I've got the box open and have entered data in the resulting text box, hitting the ESCAPE key clears the data and
does NOT close the extended data dialog. In order to retain the data I've just entered I have to click the mouse on the X in the
upper right corner of the extended data dialog. Once I've closed that dialog, the only way I can reopen it is to click the mouse in
the box with the green rightward pointing arrow as hitting SPACE or ENTER won't reopen the extended data dialog. When I've reopened
it, I can clear the data by backspacing over it, using the DELETE key or highlighting all the data and hitting the SPACE bar but if
I close it by hitting the ESCAPE key, RQM restores the data to what it was. The only way to clear the data is to erase it in the
extended data dialog and close the dialog by clicking the mouse on the X in its upper right corner.

Is there an outlook to what extent this behavior will be improved in the upcoming versions of RQM?

Thanks,
Markus

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.